Is BP Friend chat support discontinued on the Chat plugin?

Hi there - this may be a duplicate post as, by all appearances, the Dashboard plugin failed to post my support question.

Is Buddypress Friend chat support discontinued on the Chat plugin? It said on the blurb and in the feature list that it is supported, yet I do not see it in the settings or in the "Usage" page of the plugin.
I have to say that I am upset and a little frustrated since I trust you guys and bought the plugin without going through every detail with a fine-toothed comb beforehand. That trust is dwindling - simply being honest here.

Thank you

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Franklol,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community.

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear of the problems your having.

Hi there - this may be a duplicate post as, by all appearances, the Dashboard plugin failed to post my support question.

Let me know specifically what problem you are facing with Dashboard plugin so that i can help you to resolve it.

Is Buddypress Friend chat support discontinued on the Chat plugin?

No it's not, the chat plugin does integrate with BP groups and Friends.

For the BuddyPress Group there is a full settings section on the Group Admin tabs Admin -> Groups

Let me know what type of settings you are looking for.

For more information on it visit the BuddyPress Group and Friends Integration section on the following pages.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/#usage
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-chat-plugin/

Please advise if you have more questions.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Franklol

Thanks for the reply @mozillavvd

It's possible that the dashboard post form failed momentarily because of my less-than-perfect SRWare Iron browser.

I have looked at the page you linked and it has no instructions regarding BP Friends integration, only WPMU Friends integration. Is the integration automatic? I wouldn't be able to tell as none of my BP Friends are logged in. In that case, how can I remove site-wide chat feature? Having site-wide chat would make the Friend chat obsolete and cause extra load on my server.

Thanks for the speedy reply and the welcome!

• Paul

@Franklol,

Well what form does the Friend chat take? Does the user have to visit the profile page of the Friend to initiate the chat

I'm assuming you have enabled the BP Friends Connections options. To double check that in wp-admin go to Settings > BuddyPress. On the Components tab make sure you have the Friends Connection item checked. See image #1.

Using the BP Friends screens users can connect with other users. This is outside of chat. Once two users have established a connection they would visit their Friends page on the front-end of the site. This will be shown as a tab on the Members listing. Note the user must have access to this page via BP. This is not controlled by Chat. On the Friends listing in the right side of the output you will see the chat status. See the image #2.

See the red dot Offline? IF the user is online it will show green and available. This is a button. When clicked it will show launch a one on one private chat between the two friends.

There is also a built-in alternate method. If you have enable the WP toolbar to show on the front-end the user can set their chat status and see friends online. See #3 & #4 images.

• Paul

@Franklol,

Friend component has been active the whole time:

Ok

No options under the Buddypress tab relating to Friends component:

You are looking in the wrong place. The Friends output is on your front-end under the Members listing. This is part of BP and not part of Chat. Chat only adds a little button on the Friends listing outputs. I'm assuming you have a Members page on your front-end?

Could this have something to do with my changing the component's slug?

No. Not as it related to anything having to do with chat. Chat is not dependent on any slugs or permalinks.

Is the Friend chat dependent upon the user staying on the profile page? It would be a bit awkward.

No. chat is global. By default is runs on all pages within your site.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.