Is BuddyPress bad idea?

Hello All,

Why doesn't EduBlogs have BuddyPress enabled? I have also seen other popular MU Sites with no BuddyPress.

Is BuddyPress a bad idea for sites with lots of blogs registered?

Thanks.

• drmike

I think in the case of edublogs and wp.com, it;s a matter of buddypress doesn't fit into the scope of those sites. Neither one is really a social "Let's hang out together and send each other nuddie pictures that we found on the net pretending they're us" site which is more of what buddypress is geared towards.

One of the wpmu regulars wrote a rather lengthy post on the topic but I can't find it right off.

edit: Looks like Frumph removed the post from his site. I know he wrote a quick sum up here but I can't pull that up either:

http://venturebeat.com/2009/04/30/wordpresss-buddypress-is-the-webs-social-network-in-a-box/

We don't use it. We took the social plugins from here, hacked them a bit to get them to display publicly and off of blog 1 alongside our profiles solution, and went with that.

• Ken

Thanks for your reply.

But won't BuddyPress be great for EduBlogs since it can create links between students, allowing them to interact each other and make learning easier and fun?

I'm currently building individuals focused WPMU site which allows blog registrations only from individuals for journal, family, diary, etc. purposes. Do you have any opinions of BuddyPress with my new site?

Also, is BuddyPress a bad combination with the Multi-db plug-in?

• Andrew

Hiya,

But won't BuddyPress be great for EduBlogs since it can create links between students, allowing them to interact each other and make learning easier and fun?

Instructors use Edublogs in a very structured way within their classes. BuddyPress wouldn't fit in well with that.

I'm currently building individuals focused WPMU site which allows blog registrations only from individuals for journal, family, diary, etc. purposes. Do you have any opinions of BuddyPress with my new site?

You know your niche better than us so that's a decision for you to make :slight_smile:

Also, is BuddyPress a bad combination with the Multi-db plug-in?

BuddyPress works just fine with the latest version of Multi-DB

Thanks,
    Andrew