Is Directory a possibility for my site?

Greetings:

I recently began a MU/BuddyPress site using the Studio plugin. As part of this I am running a small directory of restaurant listings using phpmydirectory. Assuming that Directory in its next release works as an addon to my root blog, would its functionality be such that I could use it to replace phpmydirectory, which I was dreading rethemeing to match the rest of the site, and which I would be happy to move on from. You can see the directory here -- http://www.goutiful.com/directory/

Did you take a look at phpmydirectory when architecting Directory? If not, it's well worth a look, as it has been around for some time and has been steadily enhanced by its developer. However, integrating it with WP seems next to impossible.

Thanks

Chris

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Chris,

Yeah, the next version of directory should allow for this. I haven't seen phpmydirectory before, but it does have a nice, clean look to it. Our directory plugin uses custom post types so it's much more integrated into WordPress.

Anyway, to confirm, yes, you should be able to do what you want to accomplish with the next version.

Thanks for your comments and feedback here!

• Cosmo_McMoon
    • Flash Drive

That is excellent news, I look forward to the next release.

Last question until then: I'll need to import the data from my current directory. I'm assuming there will be some kind of import function. phpmydirectory is the leader in the PHP directory space and has a large, serious user base, a large percentage of which would switch to a WP/Directory solution if such an import was reasonably simple. Something to think about.

• Ivan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Cosmo_McMoon

I'll need to import the data from my current directory. I'm assuming there will be some kind of import function. phpmydirectory is the leader in the PHP directory space and has a large, serious user base, a large percentage of which would switch to a WP/Directory solution if such an import was reasonably simple. Something to think about.

Thanks for that, I will check phpmydirectory docs and see what can be done for the next release :wink:

• Cosmo_McMoon
    • Flash Drive

Hi:

There have been two updates to Directory since I posed my question, about whether I could use it to replace phpMyDirectory on my site. You had indicated the next version would do the trick. Is that now the case? And any luck with an import capability?

Thanks

Chris

• Ivan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Chris,

We've introduced some very nice features to the latest release of Directory - recurring payments and extended theme options for style, layout, colors and a lot more. You can check a showcase here http://thewpdirectoryplugin.com/

Currently the Directory plugin comes with a default theme in which all the functionality is packed. For later version we will decouple the functionality from the theme so you will be able to use it on other themes as well.

Please review the plugin docs, the showcase and other threads so you can decide whether a switch from phpMyDirectory is an option for you. Import functionality for phpMyDirectory will not be developed as part of the plugin but maybe you can find a developer which can make a custom job for you there.

Currently the plugin is in its infancy and its not feature complete but we have big plans for it so you can expect very nice additions to it in the following months.

I hope my replay will give you the necessary info with which you can decide which option will best suite your needs.

• Cosmo_McMoon
    • Flash Drive

I have to say I'm disappointed by the pace of development of this plugin -- it was one of the reasons I purchased a year of your service, so to still have it not available as something I can add to my existing WP site is a setback. Of course, I didn't expect an easy way to import my phpMyDirectory data. But replicating some of the core functionality of that application would have made this truly useful -- as I understand it, the plugin can't generate thumbnails of listed sites, for example, or generate coordinates from addresses and create Google maps. This is essential stuff. Rather than a focus on payments, I believe making the listings themselves more robust would be something to focus on -- that way these become more valuable. Just trying sell links is a very old approach for a site owner. A modern directory should provide a much richer experience. Or am I not understanding this?

Thanks

Chris

• Cosmo_McMoon
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your response. Good to hear that improvements are on the way. Of course, this is partly because I hope to use this on my site -- but I honestly think you will have a bit hit if you transform this into a plugin that plays well with the rest of a WP site and also add essential functionality. I look forward to the next version!

Chris

• Chilbo
    • New Recruit

Hi I am just wondering how far the progress is with developing the plugin for the directory without the theme as it is right now. I am struggling with multiple solutions that all need to have their own mods before i can really use it. Please let me know as I am really looking for a fitting directory plugin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.