Is Domain Mapping plugin meant to generate own pages

Is Domain Mapping plugin meant to generate own pages?

I have installed Pro Sites and using Domain mapping on a multisite network set up and in these plugins setting and configuration it appears to mention various pages used. But in the main site there are no pages generated to cater for this and no shortcodes given to add to pages in order to supply these functions.
I get that Pro sites probably will generate the pages as selected in the modules (if you can please confirm that) but for example Domain Mapping mentions ''Domain Mapping page' but there is no sign of this anywhere.
where is that meant to be please?

PS these plugins did not appear in the drop down section of the question. I have moved the site to a VPS and i think it is still looking at the version on the shared server.

regards
David

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello David,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "Pro Sites" plugin indeed generates a "checkout" page which is by default yoursite.com/pro-sites. No other pages should be created.

The "Domain Mapping" plugin does not generate any pages except adding itself to admin dashboard. For general settings (network wide) you will want to go to your "Network Admin -> Settings -> Domain mapping" page.

For settings for selected sub-pages of your network and to map domains to this sub-pages, you will want to go to the dashboard of selected sub-page and then to "Tools -> Domain Mapping" page.

PS these plugins did not appear in the drop down section of the question. I have moved the site to a VPS and i think it is still looking at the version on the shared server.

This shouldn't be an issue actually. I think you should be able to select those plugins while asking a question but it's possible that some "glitch" occurred temporarily e.g. due to caching. In case it happened again in future, let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Thank you this has raised more questions I'm afraid.

In domain mapping settings it does mention - Domain Mapping page and has a space to enter your own text or the default text will appear.... Appear where then?

I've seen the pro sites checkout page but I'm now at a loss about the other functions like the pricing table, where does that come into play?

Great plugin in principle but very complex and not well explained.

Regards
    David

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello David!

In domain mapping settings it does mention - Domain Mapping page and has a space to enter your own text or the default text will appear.... Appear where then?

This refers to the "mapping instruction". On your "Network Admin -> Settings -> Domain Mapping" page you can write your own tips/guide/instructions for admins of sub-sites of your network. The text that you input into the "If you want to display your own instruction...." text box on that page will appear in sub-site's dashboards on "Tools -> Domain Mapping" page instead of default one.

found pricing tables

That's great! I'm glad you managed it yourself!

Have a nice day!
    Adam

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for the answer,
    Real sorry but I am still not understanding where this Domain Mapping page is shown to users on your network. On my main site http://hosting.photography/ which is the only one in the network currently I have looked in the dash under tools and there is no instructions shown yet.
    However I have not configured the sunrise instructions yet, but I don't think that is to do with this domain instructions (?).
    What a shame that it can't output front end instructions as I am sure people would want to know before they commit to a purchase.
    David

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

OK. I am going through the instructions for the sunrise thing, but have hit a snag.
    The install is running on a VPS with a Pleask control panel. For some reason I was unable to move the sunrise file either through the control panel or by FTP. I was able to download it though.
    I have now uploaded it to the right place but I am unable to delete the original file in any way by any means. I looked at the permissions but they seem to be locked. I can't rename it either.
    The error message it gives is:

Unable to remove /httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/domain-mapping/sunrise.php: filemng:
    Error occurred during /bin/rm command.

I don't know if this is something that you have in place or its on the server.

I assume it won't work with the file still in place there?
    Any thought please?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello David,

Thank you for your replay!

Domain Mapping requires sunrise.php file to be moved, not copied. I'm not saying for sure that it will not work but developers strongly emphasize that it should be moved. My experience so far also suggests that copied (instead of moved) sunrise.php is often causing issues.

The fact that you're not able to remove an original file and even weren't able to change file permissions indicates the the issue here would be file ownership. I suppose that by default server sets owner (and group) to a user different than your web server is running as (that would explain why you're not able to delete file via Plesk) and FTP is running as.

You should be able to correct that via ssh root access but there's always a risk involved, unless you're really comfortable with Linux/Unix command line. I'm not sure what kind of support your hosting provider offers you for this particular VPS that you're using but it may be a good shot to get in touch with them and ask them to check and correct default ownership settings for all "web" files/folders.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.