Is Domain Mapping really needs dedicated IP?

The Domain Mapping project page says you need dedicated IP that points to multisite installation. I am not using dedicated IP but my installation of domain mapping works. So I am just curious about this. Do you really need it or not?

• Ash

Hello Ronald

If you don't use dedicated IP, you will need to use nameserver. So in that sense, the dedicated IP is not a must.

So, if you use nameserver, then you need to add that nameserver in the mapped-domain domain panel and then add that domain as an addon/parked domain in the main site's hosting panel. You just need to point the mapped domain directory at the same directory of main site and then it will work.

If you can't access using nameserver, then you will need dedicated IP, adding that IP as A record for mapped domain and point the IP to the main site directory.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Ronald

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Thing is that native WordPress domain mapping feature has only very basic configuration and no additional options.
    Our Domain Mapping plugin offers a good bunch of additional settings and possibilities, like:

- multiple mapped domains for one subsite
    - reseller options (let your users search, buy and map as many domain names to their site as they like)
    - integration with Pro Sites plugin
    - force http/https for original domains
    - DNS health status checker
    - and so on, and so on...

To have better understanding of all features offered by Domain Mapping plugin, I would recommend you to look through the plugin's page (especially Detail section)
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

If you have any additional questions please let us know, we always are happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Ronald

I dindn't mean to imply your plugin was bad or anything, i just wondered if it was necessary :wink:

I have a follow-up question.
    Is it possible in a single site installation to have different toplevel domains for the same site?
    So toplevel.nl and toplevel.be for example.
    They are both the same language, but not the same audience.

Or do i have to look for a multilingual solution for that, so that i can also offer a different experience?
    If i use WPML for that, can i show different toplevel domains per language?
    And does Google view it as 2 different sites?

• James Morris

Hello Ronald,

I have a follow-up question.
    Is it possible in a single site installation to have different toplevel domains for the same site?
    So toplevel.nl and toplevel.be for example.
    They are both the same language, but not the same audience.

If you are using Domain Mapping (which would require a multisite) and the site in question is a subsite in your network, then yes, this is possible.

First, you would need to enable the option Allow site admins to set multiple mapped domains in Network Admin -> Settings -> Domain Mapping.

Next, you would have to do a bit of custom coding in your page templates to pull different data depending on the accessed URL.

For example:

<?php
    if ( $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] == "toplevel.nl" ) {
    	//Do your custom NL content loop here
    } elseif ( $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] == "toplevel.be" ) {
    	//Do your custom BE content loop here
    }

And does Google view it as 2 different sites?

Provided that > 70% of the content is unique on the referenced domain, then yes Google will see it as unique. Since numerous domains can share 1 IP address, Google doesn't care as much about that as it does the resolved domain.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.