Is facebook gaming their social feeds?

I’ve noticed some peculiar behavior on facebook and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed.

When I post to my page’s wall directly, it’s built in analytics says it’s been seen by approx 250~ people.

But when I schedule it to get posted by a third party source, it gets less than half the views everytime. In fact it’s around 90ish every time.

I’d like to gather the experiences for anyone else here using social marketting to promote their brand on facebook.

• william_bronson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I’ve never had good luck with 3rd party with facebook. It’s like they have teams of programmers just sitting around trying to screw up anything not from them.

It kind of reminds me of the old Adobe / Apple disputes where Apple decided to alienate Flash.

Anyway, I did see a service one time that shouldnt be affected by that. I’ll look for you.

To answer your question, I did notice this too about a month ago

• Jason

Yea, well I found a third party service that works AWESOME but facebook is minimizing the impact of ALL not web posted atricles….

Also If the status post contains a link, after a few clicks it stops being shown on the timeline, UNLESS there is a share before it’s taken off the time line.

I would bet FB has a formula that dictates that…

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

I have a friend that uses SharePress to post to Facebook, she has noticed similar behavior.

There is a new feature that Facebook is giving to pages that allows them to “Promote” their posts. Basically you pay for more people to see your posts.

They have to be pushing down the 3rd party posters to make sure there is a need for their new paid feature to succeed. I’ve no proof that they are, but I’d bet you a dollar and a beer :slight_smile:

• Jason

What’s Going On?

Facebook’s algorithm for selecting which content becomes visible to Facebook users is called EdgeRank. EdgeRank decides what is most important on Facebook for a specific user by taking into account three components:

Affinity: The number of times two people (or a person and a page) have interacted

Weight: The number of times users have interacted (commented, liked) with the content in question

Recency: The time since the content was posted

Last November, EdgeRank Checker decided to investigate the rumor that Facebook penalizes third-party APIs. According to its findings, “When an object is created in Facebook, it is assigned a weight. We believe that Facebook strategically reduced the weight of objects created through the API. The reason behind this strategy would be to encourage more content creation within the Facebook platform. This ultimately increases the value of their platform while increasing ad impressions.”

But then in December, EdgeRank Checker announced that the problem was fixed. But it seems the issue has resurfaced. Our team hypothesizes that once more, the weight of content published from a third-party API is being decreased before it even has a chance to create organic weight. Regardless of whether this was Facebook’s intention or not, it’s hurting marketers who depend on third-party APIs. Some component of the algorithm may have been lost in transition to Timeline, resulting in such drastic differences in attention as presented above.

Read more: http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/32124/Facebook-Content-Published-Via-Third-Party-Tools-Suffers-67-Fewer-Likes-New-Data.aspx#ixzz291sQkOiM

Thanks @kimberly that supports what I’ve been experiencing as well.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

a quote

ince Ogilvy reported that Facebook announced a drastic change to the EdgeRank algorithm on September 20th, we’ve heard widespread complaints that Page Admins are experiencing a decrease in Reach. We decided to look into the data ourselves to see if this is, in fact, a widespread issue.

Over time we’ve seen Reach slowly decrease as more Pages, and more users, create content. The more content that is posted to the news feed, the less likely your Page’s content will reach your fans. Facebook has also been rumored to provide 80% organic content, and “20% paid content in the form of sponsored stories” for Pages. So, tweaks in EdgeRank can cause fluctuations in metrics for brands on Facebook.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

I just “stumbled upon” this thread – no not through “stumble upon” the service.

Anyway, a group of us have been discussing this on Facebook over the past few weeks. Many have notice MUCH LESS interaction with their pages – even with personally posted items.

A good friend of mine is an author in California. She posts daily – always personally – and many times she gets LOTS of comments and interaction because her posts can stir controversy (they’re not political, but they are about women and men interactions). But, she and I have noticed that some of what we would expect to be the MOST controversial will sometimes get almost NO interaction.

She and I believe that this is a strategy by Facebook to drive more businesses to actually pay FB to get their stories sponsored. This all seems to stem from the fact that FB had no real product when it went public so all those investors basically invested in “air”. Now, they are trying to produce a product – that product is paying users.

Some call me a conspiracy theorist, but I do see a trend here and it appears others are seeing it too. Yes, Edge Rank plays into what people see. So do the other items mentioned earlier in the thread. But, the reality is, shareholders demand a return and in the end, that’s what will drive the future of Facebook. What can make a return for Facebook and it’s shareholders.

James Dunn

Athens, GA USA

• Jason

But the biggest lock on this is that I am double posting my articles, 3rd party, and then manual post. Post after post after post, the manual posts get more than twice exposure, everytime, not sometimes.

I’m specifically using the service called dlvr.it. It’s kinda sad, because it works so good.

But if the post says posted via dlvr.it on facebook, then it’s views seem to be capped around <100 views. So it works, but I could post manually about anything, and it’s views are >250 almost every time.

I’m wondering if the wpmu post to facebook plugin (Ultimate Facebook Plugin) suffers the same deficit in organic views.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

It would be interesting to try @jason

Since the “services” are all delivering content through a single app or address and the Dev FB plugin is actually delivering through an app that you create and it unique to you, then it might not suffer the same situation.

If you decide to test it, please be sure to post back with your results as I’d love to share them with my author friend.

James Dunn

Athens, GA USA

• william_bronson

so ummm…maybe this is a dumb quesiton. But,

Why would I rely on a business fan page, and attracting fans who won’t see my notices and messages like they should?

If facebook does this, and doesn’t make it better than the new changes…

I say let’s find something better and leave them in the dust like we all did to myspace

hmmmmm….I’m thinking of a wordpress plugin that allows combining of every conceivable social networking platform, all in one place.

Remember trillian, that brought in aol, yahoo, msn messengers all in one place.

A social network management master dashboard and social world environment.

Let’s call it Social World…..anyone want to partner on it??????? I’m not a coder

• Jason

@william_bronson

Let’s call it Social World…..anyone want to partner on it??????? I’m not a coder

I think because you are not a coder, you are underestimating the difficulty in launching a social platform.

And if it hurts facebook, then it prolly won’t work with facebook.

And if you want all your social networks in one place, check out tweet deck addon for Google Chrome. (I know it says tweet deck, but it’s really for facebook too)

You can monitor all your accounts that way.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.