Is it better to start over instead of using imported files?

I have a ton of questions since importing files doesn't seem to have worked well.

1) If I was going to buy a theme where would I go to do that?

2) If I want to use the Spirit theme, which I have tried before but my files did not import well would I be better to start with just the theme and manually load individual files?

3) How do I create a website completely where no one can see it until it's finished? I want to leave the disaster that I have up until the new site is ready just so I have a web presence.

4) how can I get answers here quickly? I am not a webmaster or a techie and need help getting a site up. I'm really disappointed that techies on this site have said they will help me get things up and running - they provide one answer that leads to more questions and then I never get answers to the new questions. I need more support than that.

• Ivan

Hey there Judith,

Hope you are having great weekend so far!

I have a ton of questions since importing files doesn't seem to have worked well.

Can you please tell what kind of file and content do you try to import?
    Users, content or you are trying to transfer your site?

1) If I was going to buy a theme where would I go to do that?

You can browse and download themes from here and older themes here.

2) If I want to use the Spirit theme, which I have tried before but my files did not import well would I be better to start with just the theme and manually load individual files?

Again I am not sure exactly what files you have tried to import, so I can't really give an answer to this question.

3) How do I create a website completely where no one can see it until it's finished? I want to leave the disaster that I have up until the new site is ready just so I have a web presence.

You can use a plugin for this purpose so only users with passwords will be able to see the site.
    You can use this plugin, but there is a lot more out there if you don't like this one.

4) how can I get answers here quickly? I am not a webmaster or a techie and need help getting a site up. I'm really disappointed that techies on this site have said they will help me get things up and running - they provide one answer that leads to more questions and then I never get answers to the new questions. I need more support than that.

We treat our members equally and we don't have different tiers of support. Usually someone will answer your questions as soon as your thread come up in the queue after the members asked question before that got an answer.

We are little short-handed at the moment so some delays out of the normal can occur.

If you feel you need more support you can hire a developer from our job board who can help you and get your site sorted.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• Judith

I was trying to import a site. The sidebars didn't import. The tables came over as lists. Lots of 'tweaking' was 'untweaked'. The menus totally messed up - some of the menu content didn't show up on the site at all even though it was all in the menu files.

All of the problems we had with importing the site occurred going from a free version of Academica on WordPress.com to WordPress.org and the Spirit Theme. The we tried the BlogBox theme. Then we tried Academica Theme on Wordpress.org .

For creating a website that is not visible while it is being built I need a plug in that will work. I'm new to WP, and I'm not a techie so I don't know what to look for in a plug in to decide if I will like it or not. I just need straight advice on a good plug-in that will work without me needing to be a web geek.

The reason I switched to wordpress.org was because so many people and WP hosting sites said it was easy to use - that anyone could do it. It sounds like you are saying there is no truth in advertising :slight_frown:

• Ivan

Hey Judith,

Sorry for the huge delay, we deal with an inordinately large number of support threads.

All of the problems we had with importing the site occurred going from a free version of Academica on WordPress.com to WordPress.org and the Spirit Theme. The we tried the BlogBox theme. Then we tried Academica Theme on Wordpress.org .

It is very common to have problems when transferring from one theme to another, and if you change them you might lose some information in the sidebars too - as they are different for each theme.

Usually when creating/transferring a new site is good to have a test site also called sandbox install - a place where you can test how the things will work before actually doing any real changes.

I don't understand how to use the password protected plug-in to create a new website that no one can see just until it's ready to go live. Please send directions.

With this plugin you will need to protect every page manually - it wasn't build in mind to easily protected whole site - it is for page per page protection.

If you want you can check this plugin.
    That should protect your site with single login using the default WordPress sign in form and users.

Cheers,
    Ivan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.