Is it me or are there TOO many different fields for people's names in BP/ WP

I'm sure we have all experienced this frustration.

I find that there are TOO MANY name fileds for a user across WP and BP and this can lead to confusion and inconsistency.

There is the username (required), first name, last name, Nickname and I 'm getting in a muddle.

The fact that users can change their BP name is crazy to as it can lead to all kind of duplicate names etc.

I want to display just the members username that they sign up for when they first register with BP to appear across the ENTIRE site if possible?

In activity streams, forum posts, EVEYWHERE. You'll notice that their username never changes with the @mentions but a user can quite easily change the name that will appear in forum posts and activity streams and it can be very confusing when the @username doesn't match the name the user is posting under.

Anyone else having trouble with this?

• drmike

I'd have to go digging for the reference but one of the wpmu helpers in the mu forums quit in disgust over this a few years back.

Another perfect example of this is the blog url is found 4 different times within the db on a stock wpmu install. When domain mapping was being kicked around at the start, we spent more time working out which of the 4 fields had to be changed than we did with the actual solution. (Heck, I came up with it on one of my walks.)

• rossagrant

It's just overkill on the names Mike. We don't need all the different types of name.

WP and BP should have Firts name, Last name and Username. Username should be used on ALL front end areas of the site and First and Last name can be displayed under the admin panel so that an admin can see who his members are on the site.

It's too easy for users to swap and change names about and I think it's really bad.

I really hope they sort this in BP 1.2.4 or soon!

• drmike

WP and BP should have Firts name, Last name and Username. Username should be used on ALL front end areas of the site and First and Last name can be displayed under the admin panel so that an admin can see who his members are on the site.

I have to disagree with that. There's situations where First and last names need to be displayed on the front of the site. A legit news site for example. And there's too many times I know where I;ve gotten confused looking at a true name and wondering who they are on the site.

A perfect example of this is just a few days ago I got an email from someone asking for help on their wpmu site. Had to email Andrew and ask who this was and if they were connected with the premium site. Still don;t know who it is.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.