Is it possible that WP Defender is blocking ManageWP?

The question is - is it possible that WP Defender is blocking ManageWP from connecting when ManageWP is syncing? (I suspect the PHP Execution Security Tweak) AND if yes which files do we exclude from this tweak? I assume /worker/functions.php.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello frank_gomez,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with your chat today.

I've tested this out on my blog which runs Defender with the most restrictive settings possible. The only issue I had was installing the Worker plugin automatically from ManageWP. Once the Worker plugin was installed manually, everything in ManageWP worked flawlessly.

So, no there shouldn't be any issues using ManageWP with Defender.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• frank_gomez
    • Recruit

I've isolated this problem to Defender on 58 websites.

I've even excluded 3 managewp php files (list provided by ManageWP) from the PHP Execution rules and I still have problems with syncing in ManageWP.

I have removed Defender from every website and now I have no problems. Very disappointed as Defender was simple and elegant (unlike the other security plugins out there).

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

frank_gomez,

Please check the error log, if Defender locking ManageWP, there will be some error logs mention something like "access denied for the file somename.php ". Grab that file name and append to the Exception box of the Prevent PHP execution security tweak. It should fix the issue.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Keith Maxwell
    • New Recruit

I had the same problem. I have been using ManageWP for about a year now with around 80 websites. I was doing a Trial with WPMUDEV and loaded the plugins on two sites. Well, not both those sites are disconnected on ManageWP.

I understand trying to compete, but it SEEMS that this is unfairly competing.

BTW, if you care, the error message on ManageWP says that "the ManageWP plugin isn't active" on the sites. They are, they're just being blocked.

Keith

• Katya Tsihotska
    • Support & QA

Hi Keith Maxwell

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Let me know, have you tried the solution suggested by Hoang Ngo? If it doesn't help or if you need further assistance with this, please contact our Live Support here https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/ so they can have a closer look at your site and help you with your query and if it will require things those are out of the scope of Live Support, they'll create a separate ticket for you.

This will also allow us to collect all information about your query in the same place, and give us access to tools like Support Login so we can access to your site and have a look at it.

Kind regards,
    Katya

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.