Is it possible to associate a blog template with a pro-site

Hi

Is it possible to associate a blog template with a pro-site level and make it the default template for that level.

Am asking this because I building a network where the community will be on the main site and market will be on a subsite. and at the same time I wan’t members to be able to choose to either create a site or a store. and since to create a site it will have to be done from the main site since we can’t have subsite of a subsite. I thought about creating different levels of pro-site levels where if a member chooses to create a store there will be one blog-template created to have the same look all over the market place and like that I can have an etsy like site. and if a member wants to create a site they choose a different level of pro-site level where many themes and plugins will be available and the blog template won’t be a default.

so to summarise I want a default blog template for when a member wants to create a store or chooses the pro-site level for this feature. and many blog templates to choose from when a member wants to create a site.

I hope I made since as it got me in a dilemma

thanks a lot in advance

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @akh701

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Can you clarify which way round you want this please.

Is it, based on pro site level picked, a different new blog template would be assigned to the site, which I’m not sure if that would be possible, as Pro Sites would be paid after creation whereas new blog templates is assigned before/in the creation.

Or was it based on the template they pick, using new blog templates, they would then automatically be assigned a pro sites level?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• akh701
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @jack Kitterhing

Am good I hope you are well.

To be honest with you it doesn’t really matter which way around it is as long as the final product is achievable.

I wanted my members to chose wether they want to to create a store or a site. And I thought that the only way to distinguish between them is by creating different levels of pro-site so that if they choose the pro-site level that enables them to create a store then the store created will have the them and layout I chose so that any member creating a store will have the same look.

if a member wishes to create a site then they will choose the pro-site level that will allow them to create a site and in that membership level they have many themes to chose from unlike when creating a store there are no themes to chose from its all the same.

Maybe am approaching this from the wrong angle, and there is another way of achieving this without having to use blog-template

thank you

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @akh701

I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay on this.

You’d need to use New blog templates https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/ and then set up some sites to use as the templates and use the drop down box (included by default) to allow your users to select their website style, so you could name it “store” or basic.

There is no automatic integration between pro sites and new blog templates, so I would recommend making sure your pro sites levels have the same name as your new blog templates settings and somehow maybe in a sidebar or other, make it clear they need to select the same level as template they selected (if that makes sense).

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• akh701
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @jack Kitterhing

I hope you are well.

It is ok I have exams now so am not rushing, just asking questions when ever I get free time so that when I finish my exams I have the answers and ready to construct straight away.

I think It has become clear to me thank you. And I just have one final question that just poped in my mind. Is it possible to enforce one template layout for a specific pro-site level?

the reason I ask is because I want to enforce the same look for everyone wanting to create a store so that it becomes more etsy style marketplace. But at the same Time I want members who just want to create a site have the freedom to choose from any theme.

thank you

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @akh701

I hope that you are well today, sorry for the delay on this, I missed your previous reply.

I have just checked this out and you can set a default template for the new blog templates plugin, but if you do this, It doesn’t look like you can then give users a choice to choose at the start. I’ll flag the new blog templates lead developer on this to provide his valuable insight.

thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• kevin
    • WP Core Meltdown

in my opinion i thought this is already possible because i have made a new site similar to my main domain and set this site as a template with new blog templates. If i great then a new site and use that template for my new site i have also the additional pro upgrade button in my upper bar so i do not know why i should not could make levels on that new site or ame i wrong?

Cheers.

• time4novelty
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I think the integration would be possible only, if the pro site checkout would be integrated into signup page. So no creation of free site first, but the user pay at the beginning by choosing the plan, in this case the blog template. It would be nice to combine it with trial mode, so the user can test the site before paying for it.

Then we could set the different blog templates with different templates and functions as a pro site plan, example:

Easyblog for $5/m , Bizsite $10/m , Corporatesite $30/m

Would be nice also to add categories to blog templates to make easier the blog template selection, if there are 10-20 different blog templates.

With blog template I mean pre-configured site with theme and plugins.

I hope this have a sense. Unfortunately how the pro site is working now it’s not possible and has no sense because the change/upgrade from one blog template to another would override all the content. The selection of blog template can happen only one time at the beginning.

Best,

Damian

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi there.

Well, there are some users asking about something similar though I haven’t started yet to code that feature and it won’t be included in the next version (releasing very soon). We are working on other features and prefere to add less but better features.

There’s a thread where people is voting for new features:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/vote-on-the-features-you-like-to-be-there-in-the-plugin

Regards.

Ignacio.

• John Taylor
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Helo all,

I am also very interested in integration, what we want is:

1. be able to associate templates from pro sites levels,

2. we have sign up go through membership first, then user creates a site, we have no free level.

3. then have a template page so not site creation but site selection “after” sign up.

depending on the level in pro sites, the user gets increasingly advanced templates according to their subscription.

So with blog templates integration with membership we would be able to separate this as we already migrtate users with membership according to their pro site level..

Peace.

JT

• m33

Any movement on this? I’m running into the same need.

I want prosites level 1 to only be able to select from blog templates associated to level 1.

Level 2 should only pick from level 2 associated blog templates.

• Justin

+1

Imy really impressed by WPMU DEV and the plugins they offer. There’s no doubt they are leaders in the wp multisite niche.

However, browsing through the support forums, we can see that this issue has been unresolved for several years. Anyone can see that these plugins, alone, are okay enough, but together, they could be perfect.

Have the developers given up on this?

• m33

I’ve actually solved this issue through a custom built plugin.

Basically a user picks from a catalog of themes via a js isotope grid. The prosites level and new blog template id is stored in the theme style.css file. We grab that and pass it via a url param to gravity forms user registration. The user signs up and gets a free trial for that prosites level and gets the theme they selected.

It’s developer only and don’t have plans of releasing it. However, if I get enough interest, I would consider making it more non-dev friendly and selling it for a small fee.

Let me know. Otherwise, follow the path I outlined above. You’ll get it working.

• kk
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I have just tried to use the two plugins in a very basic setting, but they do not fit. The user gets access to the template as wel as a new site which is not a copy of the template. I can give access to the site if anybody of the staff is willing to see. It is okay with me – no need for further help: the previous comments here predict my findings.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.