Is it possible to clone a multisite?

I have a multisite. Now I have a script that I have been using for years called wptwin. It basically clones the site and when you move it off the server onto another it flawlessly works. Problem...wptwin does not work for multisites. So is there a way to do this?
Thanks,
Brian

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

sorry, the migrate DB Pro version works with multisite but it's a premium plugin.

you might try backupBuddy (also premium)

we also have snapshot plugin which is designed for multisite, but it's designed to backup/restore to the same domain.

though you could possibly use it in conjuction with http://wordpress.org/plugins/search-and-replace/ which would allow you to restore the site on a new server, then running the search and replace plugin to fix the URL's in the DB.

either way i can't seem to find a free plugin which is guaranteed to work with multisite migration.

hope this helps

• Brian
    • The Incredible Code Injector

what I mean is I installed snapshot on the new site. How can I restore a snapshot file that one?
    ----------------
    Nevermind I figured it out. you have to check in your uploads folder, and in there you can drop the files created from the other site. Pretty simple. Now hoping this other thing will work.

------------------------------
    Crap ok nevermind on that idea. You can't just drop the files in there. It won't work. Is there an easier way to move the snapshot file to the other site that has snapshot on it?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Brian,

Just to be absolutely clear on the matter, Snapshot does not at this support cloning or migration. This is being working on but has not yet been released.

You may be able to get away with taking a snapshot archive and moving to a different server. But in that case the environment needs to match very closely. Importantly the table prefixed need to be exact. Also the current snapshot does not update the site URL.

• Brian
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yeah I know. This is very frustrating and It's almost to the point that I might have to just redo the site on the url that I want it. And just take note when designing a multisite that is not possible to move it to another server. This sucks, because it took me a long time to do this site. bleh

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

it's possible to do manually. just export the DB from phpmyadmin, then import to your new database.

copy the files over, making sure you edit the wp-config.php

then use the serach and replace plugin above to search the database for the old urls & replace them with your new sites url.

i know you wanted automatically, the wp migrate db pro plugin will do this automatically, but it is a premium plugin. $99 for a developers unlimited license.

imo. if you're actively developing sites for people, then it's well worth the $99 & you only have to build 10 sites & charge an extra $10 on top of what you already quote to make that money back. the time saved is what matters here. if you are really busy with developing sites, then even $5 for 20 sites, will get you your initial payment back.

hope this helps.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

there are 2 ways.

you can either go to Dashboard > Tools > import/export

you'll need to do this on each site.

But the best way would be to use phpmyadmin (in your Cpanel)

select the database, then click the export tab at top. (screenshot 1)

select custom

then select all the tables you want to export. (screenshot 2)

in output, choose your database name (leave default)

select in compression: ZIP

then in format, select SQL (it's easier to use an SQL dump) (screenshot 3)

in format specific options, just leave everything default. but check that data & structure are checked.

and CREATE TABLE & ADD CREATE procedure are enabled (screenshot 4)

set the data creation options. (mostly you'll leave them as default) (screenshot 5)

then hit 'Go'

that should export the DB.

then when you want to import back.

create the DB on your server, now goto phpmyadmin, and select import select your export file & hit 'Go'

once the DB has imported, you can upload your files from your development server, to your new server public_html

make sure you edit the WP-config.php to match your new servers Database name, and db prefix (the prefix must match) usually the prefix is wp_

in my case above it's sandbox_

adjust your paths in the wp-config.php to match your new servers.

now you should have a working site, but we'll need to replace those urls in the DB to match your new site. this is where the above tool i posted above comes in handy.

you can do it by searching the DB manually, or if you can open the database.sql file on your PC before you do the import.

you can open the sql file in an editor (depending on how big it is) or use a search & replace tool for windows. then enter your existing url http://olddomain.com/ replace with http://newdomain.com

that's pretty much all there is to it.

it sounds complicated, but it isn't & once you've done it a couple times, you'll get used to it.

sometimes though if the DB is extremely large, you might have to split the export into multiples. by selecting say 5 or 10 tables at a time instead of all tables.

hope this helps.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

forgot to also mention.

for very large databases, there's an excellent tool you can use to export & import large databases in increments. it's called bigdump.

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

it's basicly a php script, you configure it with your db details & then upload the sql file to your server and select it in bigdump & it will do the import in small parts, it's a great little tool (and it's free)

hope this helps.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

you need to actually create the database 1st (do this in your servers CPANEL mysql database wizard)

once the database is created, you'll see it appear in the left column of phpmyadmin, underneath where it currently lists _wrdp1 & _wrdp2

click that database, then click the import tab.

hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.