Is it possible to get insight on Coursepress Pro developments?

Hi guys,

I am hoping that it may be possible to get insight on Coursepress pro developments. I am finding many limitations and unless I can get feedback as to what developments are in planning and when they will be rolled out may have to dump CoursePress Pro and go with another system...

Cheers,
Kelly

• Rheinard

Hi @Kelly-maree,

I can assure you that developments are currently underway. Here is a brief outline of what is being worked on:

Performance Improvements
    Many parts of CoursePress are being rewritten to reduce the amount of load on database calls. As an example, to display your unit typically requires one query to the database to load the unit and then many subsequent hits to load all your module elements. The new version is using some new hooks introduced in a recent WordPress 4.x release that allows me to get the same data with only 1 query to the database. This alone is a major improvement and the same techniques will be used to speed up course completion checking.

Improved Unit Builder
    A huge request has been to make the editor in the unit builder work the same as in the rest of WordPress. Because we are adding elements dynamically meant we have to use the editor dynamically too. Unfortunately this is a bane for many developers as WordPress core doesn't allow us to do that (easily!). In the new version we finally cracked the editor and will now restore its proper working (Visual/Text) toggle allowing you to now embed HTML.

Further to that, there will also be some updating to the existing components to speed up performance. Also to be added is a new 'Zipped Object' component that will allow you to upload zip archive with html content and specify the first html page to load. This will allow you to add components created with authoring software like Articulate or Hype.

My Wishlist
    These are some items I would love to see added in the next release:

* Activity Tracking - the next release will have additional actions that trigger when certain actions are performed by students. This will allow for adding additional integrations like TinCan activity tracking or badge systems in the future.

* A "flow mode" - An alternate way to view a course with the focus on the content, not the rest of the site.

Those are some things I can think of as I am developing the next release. Can you please let me know what specific limitations you are finding? Though I can't promise anything, I will certainly consider all improvements.

Finally, I'm sure your burning question is when will this all happen? We can't give ETAs on releases like these, but I can let you know that it will be soon (our definitions of soon may vary).

Would love to hear what you think can be improved.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @chathura, @Joe,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

To help keep support tickets separate, could you please open a new thread for your new question https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

You can also include reference of this thread in your newly created thread if you want to.

This will help us to manage your feature requests separately and get members feedback regarding this so that it can be considered for future development. Also this will help us to prevent any confusion .

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi