Is it possible to have a subdomain site of a mapped domain?

I read several previous discussion posts on the Domain Mapping plugin and subdomains, but the situations I found don't seem to be the same as mine... I apologize if I've missed something obvious.

I have a network of WordPress sites on seventh-star.net. One of those sites is mapped (using the Domain Mapping plugin) to meredithsweet.com. All is well.

What do I do if I want to create a NEW site that has the URL blog.meredithsweet.com?

When I go to Add a Site in my Network, it assumes I want the URL to include "seventh-star.net," since that's the primary domain. Is there a way to get it to be meredithsweet.com for this one use, or is there a way to set it up so it gives me a choice?

In trying to figure this out, I've looked into what I already have setup for the meredithsweet.com domain: it's set up as an Alias (that doesn't redirect anywhere; it has the domain root of my public_html, which I think is similar to the wildcard for the seventh-star.net sites?), and I have several CNAME and A records relating to it, though I'm not 100% sure of what all of them do.

Would it be as easy as creating a CNAME record for blog.meredithsweet.com, and somehow making sure it directs to a WordPress site on the Network? How do I add the site without creating an extra URL, e.g. blog.seventh-star.net?

• Sajid

Hello Azurite,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Since your mapped domain is already mapped on a subdomain. So technically its a subdomain instead of a top level main domain.

So in this case you want subdomain of a subdomain which is some thing solely dependent on the setup of your server. Some servers does provide availably of subdomain of a subdomiann like WPEngine but not all. So you have to check it with them.

Secondly, you have your network on seventh-star.net, so this is you main/primary domain that can not be changed in WordPress MultiSites Network. All subdomains can only created for this Top Level Main domain.

If you do that, then it means you need a network of network. So technically, with current MultiSites environment its impossible.

However, there is a plugin out there called WP Multi Network (one of only plugin of its kind) that can used to create multiple network of WordPress MultiSites. This again, depends if your hosting provides you facility to create subdomains of subdomains.

The following blog post will also be helpful to further discuss this feature:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/network-of-multisite-networks/

So, once you have MultiNetwork then you may be able to do what you described above, but honestly I am not sure, because I never tried that and never come across such thing so far.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Azurite

I actually think I figured it out, though I didn't actually create the site yet...

(1) Using the Multi-Domains plugin NOT the Mapped Domains plugin, add the domain meredithsweet.com
    (2) If Wildcard DNS availability is not available, go to cPanel and set it up. I went to subdomains and created *.meredithsweet.com. The document root was going to be _wildcard_.seventh-star.net by default; I changed it to *.meredithsweet.com.
    (3) Now, when I go to Sites > Add New, there is a dropdown next to Site Address, which makes me think I can do either [somesite].seventh-star.net or [somesite].meredithsweet.com

Is there any reason why this shouldn't work?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.