Is it possible to have the default Wordpress signup page AND the BuddyPress signup page active at th

Is it possible to have the default Wordpress signup page AND the BuddyPress signup page active at the same time, on the same website?

I'm building a community where I need 2 completely different types of members to sign up but I need them on the same website.

I want Member Group A to be subscribers to the website (where I can limit them access to certain pages later on or assign them a custom role. Even view Member Group 2's profiles). They themselves won't have profiles, images or anything. Just a basic signup that will allow them to see certain parts of the site.

I want Member Group B to be able to join the BuddyPress community and interact with each other. They will have access to all the BP features like messaging, profiles, own blog etc.

So far I've found that once BuddyPress is installed all the signup pages are buddypress ones, even the wp-signup.php link.

Any feedback on how to accomplish this would be much appreciated!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya Andrew,

While that wouldn't be possible given the way the two work together, it really does sound like all you'd need is our Membership plugin!

You could simply create 2 different membership levels, Group A and Group B. You could restrict access to much of the site's features to Group A while Group B would have free access to everything, including BuddyPress features (Membership has a rule for that).

It honestly sounds like the perfect fit for your scenario.

Cheers,
    David

• Steven
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey David, I'm actually using the membership plugin already for this, but maybe I'm missing something with the restrictions on the buddypress side of things. I made a level in the membership plugin for Group A that restricted everything to do with BuddyPress. Problem is, anyone in Group A still shows up in the member list, have their own profiles etc, which I don't want.

Is there a way to completely lock down buddypress for a certain level? I don't want Group A doing anything but be a basic subscriber on the site. BuddyPress seems to make everyone a member no matter what you do as I found out today. I made a Gravity forms and used the user registration plugin but upon registering through the form, they become a buddypress member.

I really want to use BP but I also really need Group A to have nothing to do with the BuddyPress side of things, except maybe browse Group B etc.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Andrew,

As far as the BuddyPress member pages, can you try creating a URL Group as follows?

Group name: BP Members

Page URLs:
    domain.com/members/.*
    domain.com/members

Strip query strings from URL: NO
    Regular Expression: YES

And of course, you could add that to your Group A rules in the negative area and they shouldn't have access to member pages. Can you try that out and let me know how that works for you?

Cheers!

• Steven

Hey David, sorry I should have been clearer. I do want Group A to be able to browse the profiles but I don't want them to appear in the members list, recently active members, newest members, active members etc. Your example blocks them access altogether, although a very handy example of using URL groups to keep in mind.

I guess on the most basic level, I need to hack BuddyPress to make it NOT show a certain group of people, based on either their subscription, membership level, or something along those lines. I really wish BP had this built in :slight_smile: it has just about everything else.

I just want BP members and WP subscribers but by default BP creates a profile for everyone, no matter where they sign up from.

• Steven

So this was handy
    http://cleverness.org/2011/01/27/updated-buddypress-user-roles-code/

It allowed me to define a WP role at registration via a dropdown menu. I created the roles themselves using Justin Tadlock's member plugin.

So now Group A and Group B each have their own WP role, neat.

Now, how can I modify the member's loop on the BuddyPress members page to just show users with a specific role (or specific capability)? That would allow me to just show Group B and not A.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Awesome! I was going to mention user roles too, but wasn't quite sure how it would work. Membership provides role integration too, though I'm guessing you're aware, in the membership levels.

Regarding the member list, I believe that could be done in your theme, best done in a child theme. And that would of course depend on your theme.

• Steven

Yep, handy having those user roles in the membership plugin :slight_smile: I've got a child theme setup of the default BP theme and have playing around with that but still unsure of how to modify the member's loop.

I'm guessing I need to limit it based on WP 3.1's get_users function, which you can also pass a role into. http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_users

Or the other way would be add a capability role to each group and filter it by each groups capability.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Andrew,

We'll mark this thread as resolved but please feel free to let us know if you've got any other questions on this. I'm also taking a look at your other thread on the member loop. Will respond there in just a moment. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.