Is it possible to provide SSL support for specific sites in a WPMU install

Hi

I wish to know the following-- suppose I create an install of WPMU that allows me to host multiple websites- with each site mapped to its own domain. What I wish to know now is, how do I use a Multiple Domain SSL Certificate to enable SSL support for certain websites(which I can choose from all the websites that are hosted under that WPMU installation).

Is such selective SSL support possible for some sites of the WPMU install? I understand that I will have to get the multi-domain SSL certificate issued myself-- what I want to know is does WPMU support usage of such multiple-domain SSL certificates? I would especially like to use SSL support for Marketpress as it makes e-commerce (via SSL Certificate) more secure and safe.

Yours sincerely,
Arvind.

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Arvind.

If you want to let customers use their own domains on your network you’ll need to use a UC or multi-domain certificate. The certificates are installed on your server and have nothing to do with WPMU’s products or services as far as I know. I recommend getting in contact with a certificate provider (I recommend DigiCert) for certificate specific questions and talk to your host about having it installed, capabilities, limitations, etc.

Hope this helps.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Arvind, I hope you're well today!

does WPMU support usage of such multiple-domain SSL certificates?

The short answer is yes, SSL is supported. But as @Gabe mentioned, it is server-dependent.

I would especially like to use SSL support for Marketpress as it makes e-commerce (via SSL Certificate) more secure and safe.

This may sound a little weird, but SSL certificates are not required and will not make your website more secure. They would be required in case the user's credit card numbers etc were stored in your server. However, by using gateways such as paypal etc this is not the case!

Cheers,\Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.