Is it possible to set up the Snapshot Plugin like WP Engines Staging Feature

Hi Guys,

I'm really starting to see the power of the snap shot plugin (and why I should be using it)

That being said, while it would be easy for me to use this, as I'm in love with WP, I can see how it would be confusing for some "normal" or less experienced WP users.

So here are a few questions.

1. If I set this up on a WPMS can I configure the plugin to automatically create a seperate AS3 bucket (or folder inside of a bucket) for each site on the network.

2. Instead of allowing the user to choose which files to take a snapshot of can I instead configure the plugin to take a snap shot of the site every time they make a change.

For instance, and I'm not sure if you've use WP Engine before but if you make a change, such as install a plugin, it reminds you to take a snap shot and then takes a backup before you install said plugin.

You can also take a snap shot before you change you CSS file and it will automatically take a snap shot (without the user have to select CSS files)

As frankly, if some of my clients were to look at the user interface that you have in regards to selecting which tables to back up, they would be overwhelmed, confused and calling me for support (this I can guarantee) as I know I've been a little intimated by snap shot.

Anyway, if you could let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for building such great WP plugins and themes for "the rest of us"

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Matt

• aristath

Hello there @mattfraser, I hope you're well today!

1. If I set this up on a WPMS can I configure the plugin to automatically create a seperate AS3 bucket (or folder inside of a bucket) for each site on the network.

I'm afraid not. This isn't possible out of the box.

2. Instead of allowing the user to choose which files to take a snapshot of can I instead configure the plugin to take a snap shot of the site every time they make a change.

No. If it were to function like this your site would most probably crash because the plugin would be constantly checking the files & db for changes. However you can simply set it up to take a snapshot on a daily basis.

I have moved this post in the features & feedback section and notified @Paul, the plugin developer about it.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Paul

@mattfraser,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. Yeah, this is on the books. We are trying to finish up the migrations logic that was promised this year before jumping more into the multisite development. Many of our users run very large MS system. I know a few running with well over 100k site. To have them setup individual snapshot would be crazy. So yes, eventually we will have some automation so you at the Network level can set a template like "All Tables + All Files weekly backup" for all sites. Then have a way to set alternate template for other sites you may want daily. We also plan to offer some method to allow individual site admins to backup their own sites. This takes the burden off the network admin. I still have plans to possibly integrate this with our ProSites plugin. So you can offer Snapshot as an upsell.

2. Possibly this might some after some other functional needs are added to Snapshot. I originally wanted to do something like VaultPress which sits there all take taking micro backups as the database tables or files changes. but the decision was made instead to do something more traditional. But I still have hopes. I've seen a few requests for differential backups. So for example instead of a full backup each time maybe only backup changes. The problem with that approach is how do you begin a restore if you have multiple archive to keep track up.

I know we added logic last year for Dropbox sync which instead of creating a single archive each time Snapshot run it will instead sync files and folders. Maybe we can do something similar for other systems. Will keep you posted.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.