Is it possible to use User Synchronization between two multisite installs?

I have not installed yet, so the question part is not quite correct in the drill down (sorry)
I know it's not built for it specifically, but if I wanted to link two individual sites on two different mu installs, what are the odds that it would work? :slight_smile:

Thanks
Kim

• Michelle Shull

Hey Kim!

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure, but I would lean towards somewhere between "not at all" and "barely." But! I have had some luck exporting and importing members via CSV across hosting plans, but not across networks. (And that's because I haven't tried, not that it hasn't worked.)

If you want to give it a try, I'm a huge fan of experimenting. Take a backup first, just in case, but I'm pretty tempted to give this a dry run tonight myself, just to see if I can make it work.

Thanks for your question, and adventurous spirit!

• kim20

Let me know how your experiment goes if you don't mind. I'm going to load a copy up on our DEV server and see if I can get it to push to the other server later in the week when I have some free time.

Is there anything specific I need to know about the process that might help/hinder? I'm not terribly technical (more like a dunce in some cases) but our hosting company is absolutely fabulous and will likely be willing to help if there's a need for it.

Thanks for the quick reply, you guys are always super with support answers.

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Kim!

I gave it a try, and I haven't successfully pulled it off yet - have you had any luck? I set everything up on a sandbox site as simply as possible, and created five users to sync.

You know, I think we might be able to do this much more simply, with Snapshot. Snapshot lets you choose which pieces you export, I bet we could do an export of just the user tables, import those to your new site, then do a quick find/replace in the database to make sure all the site URLs were okay.

That's awesome your host has great support. That's a nice safety net!

• kim20

I haven't tried it yet - I actually spent a day pulling the transfer TO site out of a multisite and turning it into a single install (completely unrelated to this situation), so it's going to be multi to single now.

I see the logic with Snapshot (and we use it, nudge the devs to see if there might be progress on automated backups at the network level lol) but we really want to automate the process as much as possible. We're trying to avoid requiring the same users to create two separate logins, but we're set with the signup for the initial account having to be on one site and the access to the auxiliary information being on the second site.

Will keep you posted if I can get it to work properly -

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.