Is it simple to move dozens or hundreds or even thousands of ProSites subsites from one Network to .

Hey folks,

Is it simple to move dozens or hundreds or even thousands of ProSites (using the wpmudev Pro Sites Plugin) subsites from one WP Multisite Network to another WP Multisite Network?

Also, without the primary domain and then also with a primary domain.

I will exclude some subsites from Pro Sites totally (for some other projects and misc client sites that will not officially be a Pro Site initially).

Can you give some info on that?

The reason is:
I want to rollout quickly the ability to use ProSites now on my current WP Multisite Network, BUT if it grows to be too big down the road I may want to spinoff all those ProSite subsites from one WPMU Network to a brand new WPMU Network for the sole purpose of ProSites alone. I want to avoid having to create a brand new WPMU Network off the bat until I really see how it goes. Also, it may be that I will never have to move them anyway if things go smoothly. So, this is just forward looking FYI . . .

Please let me know.

:slight_smile:

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Greg,

That's tough question :slight_smile:

Also, without the primary domain and then also with a primary domain.

With domain its simple - you move whole network (files and database) to new server with the same domains, so everything is the same. Then you would need to remove subsites that should not be in new place manually from the subsites list so only Pro Sites will left.

Changing domain for Network (you are moving Network to new server and new domain) is bit harder but possible - we have tutorial on this https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/move-multisite-new-domain/

Main problem I can see here that you cant easily pick which sites are pro sites and which are not when you move database - you make whole database dump and then import to new one. And when all its working in new destination you remove those subsites that you don't need.

It could be done with Snapshot plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/ - it will allow you to take only backups of the pro sites (but only one by one) and then restore them one by one on the Network. This is easy solution and will work for new domain also - problem is that snapshot makes separate backups for each subsite and you cannot do that at once.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.