is Marketpress declaring custom post types wrong?

Excuse the provocative title but I have been looking into several problems I have been facing with Marketpress that lead me to ask this question.

I noticed several problems with the page created for the store base and the custom post type called products while trying to get breadcrumbs working.

A few people hinted at creating custom post type archives, a few suggested plugins.

Talking about plugins, I found this little gem: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cms-tree-page-view/ which is able to wrap posts, pages and custom post types into one big tree provided the custom psot types are properly created.
By properly created I mean that the hierarchical option, the rewrite and permalink base are properly set up.

As far as I understand, if this were the case, I could use above-mentioned plugin properly and fix my breadcrumb trail navigation issues.

Please can someone with coding experience check into this matter?

• Kimberly

Ovidiu,

Your title is a bit misleading from your point, but I'll let it pass this time :slight_smile: I think "wrong" in this case is relative to the end result, but i digress hehe

I noticed several problems with the page created for the store base and the custom post type called products while trying to get breadcrumbs working.

A few people hinted at creating custom post type archives, a few suggested plugins.

Not having the exact tools you need in a given pluign can be frustrating, however I think WPMU does a great job of trying to be customer responsive to you guys' needs. Obviously sometimes we have to get a little creative in order to get things to work the way we want them to when a quick or easy fix is not available. Unfortunately trying to make everyone happy and create a widely usable, marketable product means leaving some degree of "blandness" to themes, post types, etc. But we do try to support customization as much as possible since we know how important it is to you :slight_smile:

By properly created I mean that the hierarchical option, the rewrite and permalink base are properly set up.

By "properly" do you mean within the usability parameters of your new plugin? Have you tried it on? I'd like to know myself how it comes out! Marketpress uses shortcodes to call products within specific categories, doesn't that imply some sort of hierarchical connection? I could be wrong :slight_smile: Often am lol

At any rate, I've pinged Aaron to come comment here as I'm sure he can read more into what you want to know and give a better answer.

Best,

Kimberly

• Ovidiu

I can't say more than I did in my first post and I tried to formulate it as a question.
    Maybe I should have left out the part with the other plugin, its irrelevant to the question/problem.
    Hopefully Aaron can shed some light into this.

By "properly" do you mean within the usability parameters of your new plugin?

No, within the usability parameters of wordpress. The plugin I mentioned, only reads the way the custom post type was declared and outputs it "graphically".

• Aaron

As MarketPress uses virtual pages and it's own custom heirarchies/rewrites to display its creations (with exception to the single product view), a plugin like what you mentioned would not work.

We do this both because it allows it to work with any theme, have our own templating system, and because the custom post type features you mentioned were not even in existence when we created the plugin, so we rolled our own from scratch. MP was the first ecommerce plugin created to use custom post type functionality, and we released it right when WP 3.0 came out that supported cusotm post types.

All that to say we don't plan on changing it, you'll have to roll your own breadcrumb system. I do have plans to add this to the checkout process though, maybe even MP pages.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.