Is MarketPress right for me?

I have a client that is looking to make a unique combination store. They want to sell other people's items in their store, allow those people to login and see sales data, export orders, etc, but the site owner - not the vendors - will be adding/managing the products on the store. The site owner would take a percentage of each sale.

I like how MarketPress has the ability to take a percentage of sales built right in. However, we don't want each vendor to have the ability to manage products - only site owner will manage products. Can MarketPress be setup so the site acts like a single store, but still do the percentage of sales from each vendor?

The site is going to actually be a daily deals site - with up to 12 deals going on at any given time. I imagine it would be relatively easy to extend the plugin to include product expiration dates.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sccr410,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

The MultiSite would still need to be created and each separate vendors details added in using the PayPal Chained Payments gateway and a separate site for each vendor.

Once the payment gateway is setup the "dashboard" the clients see with their stats needs to be configured limiting what they can see using what I believe is the best choice, the Easy Blogging plugin or something like the Advanced Access Manager plugin limiting their actions and what they see.

I imagine it would be relatively easy to extend the plugin to include product expiration dates.

Not being a coder myself but knowing that Market Press is open source, I am sure this can be integrated but admit I have no idea how to do it and that custom coding for this feature will be involved/necessary.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• sccr410
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

For the payments to the vendors, do these happen immediately upon purchase by the customer? Can there be a delay? Can it be split up? Can it be sent to the vendor manually by store owner?

My client is very wary of her vendors taking the money then not shipping and she looks like the bad guy.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sccr410,

Thank you for these great questions and significant items to bring up.

For the payments to the vendors, do these happen immediately upon purchase by the customer?

Yes.

Can there be a delay?

No.

Can it be split up?

It is split up using PayPal Chained Payments between the site owner and the store owner.

Can it be sent to the vendor manually by store owner?

Not using chained payments but using other gateways it can be done. In this case though you can just restrict what the product owner can do in the dashboard and have just the single site without sub sites.

My client is very wary of her vendors taking the money then not shipping and she looks like the bad guy.

Understood but in PayPal's eyes both are liable.

Cheers, Joe

• sccr410

Few last questions...

How are orders handled when a customer has items from 2 different vendors? Are two separate orders created in each of the respective stores and then a different tracking number able to be entered for each?

In the admin area for each vendor, can they see their own sales figures, orders, and info to be able to ship the items?

And I assume we can list all products from throughout the store without having to go into each individual store/vendor's area.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

@sccr410
    From my experience - with the global cart enabled, the customers only have to enter their shipping info once then they will be directed to the Paypal express checkout. There they would see each order/vendor listed separately and the respective totals with shipping.

The admin area for each vendor has a section for sales and orders with necessary shipping info.

Your last question is a bit confusing, do you mean can you configure each individual store page to show all products from their store automatically? If so, this can be done using shortcodes and then you can make cookie cutter stores using New Blog templates.

hope this helps

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sccr410,

Thank you for your additional questions, they are appreciated.

How are orders handled when a customer has items from 2 different vendors?

Exactly as @hpidriver explained above:
    the customers only have to enter their shipping info once then they will be directed to the Paypal express checkout.

Are two separate orders created in each of the respective stores and then a different tracking number able to be entered for each?

Yes

In the admin area for each vendor, can they see their own sales figures, orders, and info to be able to ship the items?

Yes

And I assume we can list all products from throughout the store without having to go into each individual store/vendor's area.

This is a tricky one but if you mean in the back end? no you will need to log into each store.

Cheers, Joe

• sccr410

I mean on the frontend - we want all products, regardless of vendor, to appear as if they are in one unified storefront. Vendors can then login and manage their orders and interact with the customers.

We essentially want a standard storefront, but to hijack the already built features of the order management system MarketPress has already done for multi-vendor (because managing tracking numbers and order status with a single order by multiple vendors is an extremely complicated thing for us to develop into other options).

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

on the frontend - we want all products, regardless of vendor, to appear as if they are in one unified storefront. Vendors can then login and manage their orders and interact with the customers.

This is not too difficult, quick tutorial:
    *This is if you want each and every store to look the same and show every product. If you only want this on the main site/url, skip making a new site for New Blog Template

1. Network Admin > Marketpress Network Options > General Settings > Limit Global Widgets/Shortcodes To Main Blog Click "NO"

2. Create a new wordpress/marketpress site. After you set up the layout of this site you will use this as the template all subsequent vendor stores will copy. (you cannot use your main site as the template)

3. In the template site, create a new page and use the global shortcode and customize accordingly - [mp_list_global_products] - Displays a network-wide list of products according to preference.
    You can also configure global widgets on your pages to show network-wide items.
    Place the Meta widget in the footer or sidebar area so that users can log in. WPMU has a customizable Meta widget you can use instead of the built-in Wordpress one.

4. Set that new page as the static front page.

5. Go back to Network Admin > Settings > Blog Templates > Create New Blog Template. Fill in the Blog ID from the new site you created in step 2. Give the template a name and check the following three for "What to copy to new blog?"
    x Wordpress Settings, Current Theme, and Active Plugins
    x Posts and Pages
    x Categories, Tags, and Links

6. Install Multisite User Management plugin in order to share users across all network sites.

• sccr410

OK, so eventually there will be thousands of vendors - seems like this could really build a huge WP database since it is doing a complete WP install for each vendor which is in reality complete overkill. Also, if we want to make a change to a layout or functionality am I going to have to change it to every single site?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sccr410,

Thank you for your additional feedback, but the concept of needing multiple WordPress installations is completely incorrect as @hpidriver has accurately pointed out and actually will not work because it needs to be one MultiSite network for Market Press to work it's magic.

And if you truly expect thousands of stores hpidriver was correct once again to use Multi DB with your network.

Therefore considering hpidriver's virtual walk through and the information contained here within this thread, it is time to get into action and apply some of this knowledge.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.