Is Multisite the only way to have a subdomain look like a completely different site with it's o

I am working on a fundraising campaign for a client whose site is currently built on WordPress. I would like to put together a site on a subdomain for them focusing on the fundraising efforts and the project status. I want this site to have a completely different look and feel. Is converting their current install to Multisite the only way to make this happen? I am scared of losing their current site trying to set this up and make it happen. I know that deactivating all the plugins is the first thing that has to happen before the network setup...that makes me VERY nervous. :expressionless:

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @cmballew

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question, who is your host? There should be another way, of creating a sub domain within cPanel (or similar) and then installing a fresh copy of WordPress into that, you can customize the sub domain as much as you want, without risk to the main site.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• cmballew
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Jack. Thanks for your response.

I have tried to create a subdomain (hostgator) and then install wordpress to the subdirectory. Where I am having some trouble is I want the site to be viewed at subdomain.domain.com and NOT domain.com/subdirectory. This may be more of a question for Hostgator, and I apologize ahead of time if it is, however I appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks.
    Chris

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Chris,

I hope you are well today and sorry for the extreme delay with my reply.

If installing WordPress to the root domain of yourdomain.com, you should be able to select sub domains on install, then you would add a wildcard within your DNS records for your domain.

This would be *.yourdomain.com Then you should be able use sub domains :slight_smile:

Thank you and sorry again about the delay.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.