is simple-sitemaps harmful to google rank

Hi,

I'm wondering if this plugin is actually harmful to your google rank?

If I have a lot of splogs, will google et al treat my entire site as spam?

If I delete the plugin can I delete the resulting sitemap as well, and if so where and how?

I'm having a lot of SEO issues at the moment.

My site was high up on Google for a number of search terms and now it gone completely, it think because of the recent changes to Google's algorithm.

Thanks for you help

Ralf

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Ralf,

If you have a lot of spolgs I suspect that may be causing the effects on your Google ranking.

Have you seen our anti-splog plugin?

The SEO plugin shouldn't harm your rankings at all, only improve them. I recommend you check through your settings to make sure there's nothing that could put your site in an unfavourable light.

Phil

• 2Ps
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks Phil, I am using Anti-splog, but that really does not stop splogs being created.

As to the settings, which settings do you recommend I look at again. Anti-Splog or others?

Where do I delete the sitemap created by simple sitemaps?

Thanks again,

Ralf

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ralf,

The precise settings will depend on what your requirements are. I meant more that you should make sure none of the settings prevent search engines from viewing your site or similar.

You might also want to look at our newer SEO plugin.

To delete the sitemap I believe you can simply de-activate the plugin. Have you also used Google Webmaster Tools to check how Google is picking up and viewing your site?

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.