Is SMTP plugin necessary?

Hello,

After 3 years of having my contact form working perfectly (with contact form 7 plugin) it stopped working 3 weeks ago. I contacted hostmonster support (my hosting) and they fixed it. Later I realized they installed wp-mail-smtp plugin in my wordpress.

I would like to know your opinion about this as I prefer to have as little plugins as possible.

Is this plugin real necessary for the contact form to work or it is fixing some Hosting anomaly?

Thank you,

Luciano

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

It depends on the hosts. Some hosts have problems with WordPress’ PHP mail() function (and some even disallow it), so they opt to use SMTP via a plugin. On top of that, SMTP plugins/services often have better deliverability, which is critical for registration emails and important stuff like that. It varies from host to host, but I’d guess it’s necessary without knowing any other information.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

It can also be a misconfiguration on the host which does seem to happen more often than it should.

The SMTP plugin simply rewrites the wp_mail() to use SMTP instead.

It’s not really necessary but it’s a good option especially if you want mail to go via SSL/TLS secure connections.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.