Is Snapshop Pro enough backup?

I'm going to do further tests but I wanted to ask if your Snapshot Pro plugin is meant to be a complete backup for a Wordpress website, or is it meant more as a roll-back emergency solution if the site data is messed up?

If all I had was a snapshot (stored on Amazon S3) can I rebuild a site by doing a fresh Wordpress install, installing the Snapshot Pro plugin, and restoring the stored snapshot?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Damon, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

If all I had was a snapshot (stored on Amazon S3) can I rebuild a site by doing a fresh Wordpress install, installing the Snapshot Pro plugin, and restoring the stored snapshot?

Yes, Snapshot Pro would allow you to do that, as not only can it back up the files in your Media Library, but it can also back up your site's databases, plugins, & themes (as well as the .htaccess & wp-config.php for your site, if desired). :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Damon

Going by your reply above I created a full snapshot of a Wordpress site that I am taking over and moving to my own server. This server has other WP installs running fine.

Then I did a fresh install of Wordpress 4.1.1, and then the WPMUDEV dashboard and Snapshot Pro.

No other plugins installed.

In Snapshot Pro I imported the Snapshot created on the other server and began a restore.

Restore failed with internal server error during restore of wp_options. See attached screenshot.

How to diagnose the problem?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Damon, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

To diagnose this further, I'm going to need the following:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password) - for the site you're importing this snapshot to
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password) - for the site you're importing this snapshot to
    - Include a copy of the snapshot in question (you can upload it to Dropbox, and send in the link to download it from there)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Damon

Tried the file, it worked! I was able to restore the snapshot onto my test Xamp server and when that worked I switched the the domain to my server and restored the snapshot to a clean WP install.

I even took the opportunity to change the default wp_ table prefix with no problem.

I will warn anyone reading this later who needs to move a WP site that you still have to examine the database for pathname problems, especially if you are changing the domain name at all. I don't understand why WP stores so many instances of the full domain path and the full file path.

Every framework and CMS I've used has some form of "base path" in a config so all stored links are relative to that path and you only have to change the base path to drop the site somewhere else.

Anyway the must use tool for fixing all that is called Search Replace DB https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/
    of course you have to be REALLY careful using it. :wink: but there is really no other way I've found to safely edit the paths buried in serialized data in WP tables.

I don't suppose there is any way to incorporate that functionality into Snapshot Pro? For a real one-step site move.

Anyway, thanks for the fixed file, I had started building a new site from scratch, but now the site is safely on my server and the previous webmaster can't turn it off.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.