Is there a changelog or notification for Upfront core changes?

I'm planning to have my developer create a custom theme built on top of Upfront, but I'm running into two challenges:

1) It's hard to know when there's a change to Upfront core to make sure I stay up to date.
2) When there is a new update and the Upfront core version number changes on theme downloads like Spirit and Panino, I can't figure out what changed in the Upfront core to know what I need to be aware of in my dependent theme.

Is there a place to track the changes to the Upfront core and to be notified of new core releases?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Steve,

Well, we don't publish officially informations that we will update Upfront - but it is released separately form the themes and shows in the WPMU DEV dashboard updates as separate Update.
    And it contains changelog as well as themes - but you need to go to it's directory in the /wp-content/plugins and look for CHANGELOG.md file. It contains changes for every version.
    There is no other documentation for Upfront changes I'm afraid at the moment - but documentation for developers is planned for the future.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Steve
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

When I look at my WPMU DEV dashboard, I see each of the dependent themes (Spirit, Fixer, Scribe, Panino, Luke+Sara, Parrot), but I do not see Upfront as a separate Update. I've looked in Themes, and Plugins, and I've done a search for Upfront. None of those seems to list Upfront separately.

Where do I look in the WPMU DEV dashboard to find Upfront as a separate update?

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Steve

I hope you had a wonderful day and happy new year :slight_smile:

You are right, Upfront is not listed separately in WPMU DEV Dashboard. But when an update for Upfront is available, you will get notification in your "Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Updates" page. You will also get a "View Changes" link. You can see the changelog by clicking on that link. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

And for finding file-by-file, line-by-line change between two versions, I can suggest you two options. One is using Git. You can create a repository with your current Upfront version, and when a new version comes, you can replace your previous repository with the newer version and then find file-by-file code difference through Git. Git seems to be a complex thing for many people but if you know Git already, it's a very good option.

Another good option is using "Difference Viewer" in PHPStorm from JetBrains. Please note, PHPStorm is a paid software.

I'm afraid, none of these options are easy for a person who is not a programmer. But I believe, your programmer can use any of this to find line-by-line code change in an update.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.