Is there a fix for not being able to save an update from the WP page editing screen?

This situation is absolutely driving me crazy. I'm trying to edit a WP page. When I click Update, my screen goes blank white in Safari. In Firefox, it goes white with a message about no server connection.

Also -- and this seems to be a related issue -- my Preview Change function is hanky. When I click Preview Change, I get a blank white screen. I have noticed that the URL in the case ends in post.php, with no info following it to indicate the actual number.

Sometimes when I click View Post, I can actually see the edited page. At other time, I get a blank white screen.

• dapadoo

Could be a couple of things going on.

I do several things reugaurly when I have these kinds of problems.

I use a cache plugin and clear cache regularly or deactivate when doing a lot of editing.

Clear your Internet cache and temp window files.

If you change DNS settiing in the past 24 hours wait a little longer.

With out more information as to your hosing that's all I can help with.

• Alexander

@gkosovic,

If you're getting a white screen, or message about a server error, usually there has been a fatal error triggered.

Can you try enabling WP_DEBUG mode? To do this, just go to wp-config.php and set WP_DEBUG to true. For example:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);

Then try performing the same action again, and I suspect you will see an error message. Let me know what you find out.

Best regards,

• Alexander

Yes, that's correct. In that case, it sounds like it could be timing out. Can you take this a step further and enable debug logging? This is log error message to a file that might not be able to reach us on site pages.

Just add this snippet to your wp-config.php file. You already have the first line, so you can add the other part underneath it.

http://git.io/gJANNQ

Then take the steps to produce the problem a few times. Next, check the file in /wp-content called debug.log Let me know if it contains any errors.

Best regards,

• gkosovic

I took the steps to create debug.log. The log file did in fact record some errors, both of which seemed to relate to Snapshots interaction with Dropbox -- something about my account being at capacity. I can upload the log if you would like to see it.

To prevent further incidents resulting from Snapshot activity, I deactivated Snapshot. Deactivation made no difference in the issues I've been having. To boil it down for a quick read, I was unable to use Update, View Changes or View Post in anything resembling a sane workflow. The only way I was able to make progress today was to click Update, log in through another browser, go to the page I was developing, click View Post and hope that the changes had invisibly occurred. Sometime that worked, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes I had to log out of both browsers, wait for a few minutes, then log in again.

The person at GoDaddy Support suggested I try some corrective actions she found at wp.org. I did them: I downloaded a fresh WP folder and from it FTP'd to the problem WP installation a fresh wp-includes folder and a fresh wp-admin folder. Also up'd the memory in wp-config. None of that seemed to make any difference. I just soldiered on with the lunacy described above.

Now, here's the really interesting thing that occurred today. After completing my work on the page I'd been developing, I went to another page in the site to add some content. While editing and reviewing that page, EVERYTHING WORKED FINE!

So, my question tonight is this: Is it possible for a single page in WordPress to become corrupted and cause the kind of havoc I've been dealing with?

If anyone has relevant experiences or thoughts or outright directions to offer, I'd love to hear from you.

• gkosovic

Now I'm back to dealing with very short editing sessions before being timed out.

For example: I'm editing a post right now. I work in the editing screen for 1 to 3 minutes, click Save Draft, click Preview and review the work in the preview screen. When I try to go back to the editing screen, there's a dialog window that says my session expired and invites me to log back in.

The elapsed time between clicking Preview in the editing screen and trying to return to editing screen is under a minute.

• gkosovic

Now I'm back to dealing with very short editing sessions before being timed out.

For example: I'm editing a post right now. I work in the editing screen for 1 to 3 minutes, click Save Draft, click Preview and review the work in the preview screen. When I try to go back to the editing screen, there's a dialog window that says my session expired and invites me to log back in.

The elapsed time between clicking Preview in the editing screen and trying to return to editing screen is under a minute.

• marikamitsos

@gkosovic

Hello there,

This may sound silly of me but have you tried the "basics"?
    Disable all plugins and switch to a default (TwentyTwelve or TwentyEleven) theme. After that start re-activating the plugins one-by-one and see when your problem appears. Please make sure you activate your cache plugin last.
    It would be best to do all these through a different browser and even better from another computer.

If nothing works go to the extreme. On the same server, create a subdomain, make a brand new installation and (without installing any plugins or themes) see what happens. Do follow Alexander's tip about debugging as well. If problems still persist it must be a server issue.

Hope you work things out. Please let us know how it goes,
    marikamitsos

PS: You talk about WP pages. Does the same happens with posts as well?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.