Is there a minimal version of WPMU Dashboard?

I need a way to install the WPMU dashboard plugin into my clients' sites without my clients being able to take advantage of my WPMU membership beyond updating the plugins and themes that I install into their sites during development. I also want no way for clients to view my WPMU membership details.

As far as I can tell, when one of my clients clicks the WPMU Dashboard menu in WP Admin, the client is able to view my WPMU username, support points and forum question as-well-as being able to install plugins & install themes. This is bad from a data protection viewpoint and the ease of access my clients have to my WPMU membership benefits provides value to my clients that I usually charge them for (i.e the benefit of my expertise and paid licenses).

I know I can add code to wp-config.php to hide the dashboard but this does not help when a client or another developer deletes that code.

Is there a less functional WPMU Dashboard plugin? One that only updates plugins and themes and provides no WPMU dashboard access?

• aristath

Hello there @DDV, I hope you're well today!

There is no dashboard- "lite" version, but we do have some constants that you can use in your wp-config.php file to make this work the way you want it.

Simply add this line to your wp-config.php file, right above the line that says
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

define(‘WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING’, true);

That will completely hide the plugin, but you'll still be able to update our plugins and themes.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath

In that case, you can simply add that line inside the plugin itself!

Just edit the plugin file and right before the line that says
    class WPMUDEV_Dashboard {
    add this:

This way it will be simply hard-coded.

No, I'm afraid there are no plans to release a light version of the plugins, because you can already lock the Dashboard to your user, and there already constants to hide them.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Patricia BT

I'm sorry if I interfere in something I understood wrong, but do you give your admin login to the client?
    if no, you stay the first admin, and only you can access the WPMU Dashboard, then you give admin rights to another user if you want your customer to have admin rights as well for other tasks, he won't have access to the WPMU Dashboard, (right @aristath ?)

and if you talk about another developer, do you mean you do not maintain the site yourself anymore? in that case, it would be good that you remove your WPMU credentials anyway, because the client then shouldn't have access to the updates if they are not your customer anymore. (at least that's how I understand things)

Cheers

• Patricia BT

I understand DDV

My feeling is either you maintain the site, and you use the tool YOU pay for, or they maintain the site and then have to pay for continuous support and their own API.

And BTW I totally agree I would not want to give them access to my own dashboard. And also with my above solution they are also admin but just not in your account.

Anyway :slight_smile: It's just a personal opinion I hope you don't mind.

• DDV

I don't mind, Patricia. I always listen to advice: never know when it will come in handy :slight_smile:

For the WPMU guys,

With regard to hiding the WPMU dashboard, I've always known how to do that. That isn't the issue. I thought about the advice given above re placing the define constants into the plugin code itself but.... what happens when the dashboard plugin is updated? :p

I could rename the dashboard plugin and place the constants within it so as to hide it from view and prevent it ever updating but I'd prefer a lite version of WPMU dashboard.

We need a lite version that,

1) shows the installed WPMU plugins,
    2) lets developers add a personal 'get in touch for support' message,
    3) allows the plugins/themes to be upgraded,

but

4) does not allow a developer's clients to install additional WPMU plugins and themes, and
    5) does not give a developer's clients access to the developer's WPMU control panel, download history, forum use history and payment history.

It is all good to say that the WPMU dashboard can be hidden or removed once a developer stops supporting his/her client but the WPMU Dashboard can still be unhidden at any time, even when a developer is still supporting his/her clients.

I believe many developers will agree with me here when I say that the WPMU Dashboard plugin does not do enough to secure a developer's WPMU life from prying eyes.

Thanks guys.

• aristath

With regard to hiding the WPMU dashboard, I've always known how to do that. That isn't the issue. I thought about the advice given above re placing the define constants into the plugin code itself but.... what happens when the dashboard plugin is updated? :p

I could rename the dashboard plugin and place the constants within it so as to hide it from view and prevent it ever updating but I'd prefer a lite version of WPMU dashboard.

You could simply create a new php file in your wp-content/mu-plugins folder.
    Just create a file called "customizations.php" in that folder and put the below code in it:

<?php

save that and now it will be loaded by default.

1) shows the installed WPMU plugins,

Users can see the installed WordPress plugins from their "plugins" menu

2) lets developers add a personal 'get in touch for support' message,

You can use our Support System plugin for that: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/support-system/

3) allows the plugins/themes to be upgraded,

The fact that the dashboard is hidden doesn't mean that users can't update their plugins... they can!

4) does not allow a developer's clients to install additional WPMU plugins and themes, and
    5) does not give a developer's clients access to the developer's WPMU control panel, download history, forum use history and payment history.

The WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin is "locked" to the user that activated it, and that's you. You should NOT give your own account to clients, they should have a separate account.
    If however your client uses your account, then you can create another dummy user that will serve as the WPMUDEV Dashboard owner by adding this line in your customizations.php file that I mentioned above:
    define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '32');
    where '32' is the ID of the user you want to use for that.

It is all good to say that the WPMU dashboard can be hidden or removed once a developer stops supporting his/her client but the WPMU Dashboard can still be unhidden at any time, even when a developer is still supporting his/her clients.

If your clients are super smart and figure out how to show the WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin yes, they can.
    That's why it's best not to give your own account to other people as I mentioned above.
    If you do that, then no matter how hard they try, they'll have to
    1) figure out how to show the dashboard
    2) hack your account and gain access to it.
    If they are that smart, then they probably can write the plugins on their own. They don't need WPMUDEV ones...

I believe many developers will agree with me here when I say that the WPMU Dashboard plugin does not do enough to secure a developer's WPMU life from prying eyes.

We do what can be done.
    If however you give out your account to others then there's nothing we can do about that!

We've integrated as many security measures as humanly possible and there are lots of ways to prevent your clients from gaining access to your WPMUDEV account, but at the end of the day it all comes down to what you, as a site developer to protect your own privacy and not give out your own account.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.