Is there a minimum WordPress version for the Popup Plugin?

I am working on a WordPress site for a nonprofit that is about to launch a month-long fundraising campaign. They have Popup installed. This is my first year helping with this campaign, but clearly they have used Popup for years and as recently as December. I am finding that I cannot open any of the popups in the system or create a new one. When I do I just see a black window. I thought maybe the problem is that their WordPress version is quite out of date. 3.5. I intend to update that for them but not until the end of the month because I fear breaking their site during this important event. Anyway, can you tell me about the backwards compatibility of Popup. Is Popup Pro different?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dandelion,

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

The “WordPress PopUp” (the free/limited PopUp Pro release) requires at least WP 3.1. I would say though that this is more “in theory” rather and I’m not sure if this will work reliable on such setup. The 3.5 WP release is extremely outdated already and it’d be better to update it as many other plugins may not work as well. There are also many serious security reasons for an update.

That said, I think you could try changing the way/method popups are loaded. To do this, check the “Popup -> Settings” page and try switching from e.g. “WordPress Ajax” to “Page Footer” (which works on most setups).

If this doesn’t help, I’d go for WP update first and then got back to troubleshooting in case it still wouldn’t work.

Best regards,

Adam

• Dandelion
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your advice Adam!

Yes, I am going to upgrade the site as soon as I possibly can. In the meantime I back it up frequently.

Unfortunately the popup settings page does not load. Nothing loads except the list of popups on that main page. No actual popups load either.

I think we may have to do without.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dandelion,

Thank you for you replay!

I think the most likely reason fir this is indeed an outdated WordPress version but I’ll be happy to take a closer look at it if you’d like me to. I would however need to access the site in question via support access granted with WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin. You may grant it by following this guide:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.