Is there a way I can still access admin on a Domain Mapped Multisite?

I have a Network setup using multisite under a Domain Name which I have decided against using as it is a little long winded. I have purchased another Domain Name which I am more comfortable with & have setup Domain Mapping. I can now access the Network under the new Domain Name without having to move any sites - both Domain Names are on the same server. However, under the mapped Domain Name I have noticed I am unable to access the admin area. For the majority of my members this would be great as I don't want them to have access anyway. They will connect with each other using Buddypress. For upgraded members I would like them to have access to the Communities plugin as well. Can I still use that plugin under my setup & if so, how do I access admin? I am reluctant to use the original Domain Name.

• Atkotech

Thanks for responding Joe. Okay I'll try to be a little clearer. I have a multisite setup on a virtual dedicated server which I have full access to. I installed it on, let's say Domain Name A and all works perfectly. You recommended a plugin that will allow me to set up multisites within multisites & I thank you for that, it works perfectly and exactly as I want it. I purchased Domain Name B to replace Domain Name A as I thought it was a bit long winded. As my multisite is installed already under Domain Name A I decided to use the Forward and Mask feature on my server. This works perfectly and all works well throughout the site. The only problem is I cannot access wp-admin under Domain Name B. If I go back to use Domain Name A I can do.

I wouldn't want members to access the wp-admin area as a general rule so how it works at the moment would be ideal for 99% of my members. However I would like to use the Communities plugin from wpmudev which actually works from the admin area so to use that I WOULD need to give some users access to wp-admin so as its okay for me to flick over to Domain Name A to access the admin area I don't really want members to know that that is where the site originates. So I basically would like to access the admin area from Domain Name B after all! I hope this is a little clearer.

• aecnu

Greetings coremedia,

Thank you for your additional input and clarification, it is certainly appreciated.

In absolute consideration of your last post, personally I would take domain "A" completely out of the picture.

The first thing to do would be to stop the forwarding and masking for domain "B"

Next make an entire backup of the site and the database.

I would change the configuration files replacing domain "A" with domain "B" and then do the same in the database using a search or search and replace depending on the tools available to you.

Then the site should be running on domain "B" and all's well that ends well.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Atkotech

Hi Joe,

Yeah I checked this out and it doesn't work. I forwarded and mapped it to its own domain kind of thing and that takes the whole site down so I had to do away with that idea. Looks like I'm gonna be stuck with the ugly looking WordPress format options unless I can find another way. Someone told me about using the .htaccess file but I'm not sure how I go about that so looking for a good step by step guide. Thanks anyway Joe.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.