Is there a way to allow non-authenticated users to participate in groups?

I have a client who wants community features, like groups, but wants them open to the public. He is afraid that requiring people to create an account and log in will be too big of a barrier when his site is new. Is there a way in BuddyPress to allow non-authenticated users to participate in groups? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings RDean,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I have a client who wants community features, like groups, but wants them open to the public. He is afraid that requiring people to create an account and log in will be too big of a barrier when his site is new. Is there a way in BuddyPress to allow non-authenticated users to participate in groups?

My comment derived from experience on this would have to be - does the client realize how much spam is going to pummel the site due to this practice?

It is my opinion the garbage posters will ascend upon it like a swarm of locusts and possibly keep people from participating due the the garbage they will spew within the group posts.

I do not know how to get around authentication myself.

However, if you still want to pursue this considering what I mentioned above please let us know and I will get the answer if it is at all possible.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.