Is there a way to call members and groups to all subdomains on a child theme?

I am running the magazine as exactly that, a magazine
So I have writers and they are given their OWN blog as part of the community and they contribute to the original main site blog by using that blog permissioned in the drop down list of "their blogs"

This is my question:
When I allow the blog and set up the theme get it all together for them.. when its published..
I would like for it to have the same members and groups so its a seamless experience from the front of the site, and people can actually navigate around this small world of blogs that are all attached to one main "frontpage" magazine. I would also like for these writers to have their articles appear on their subblog , (and on the front page ) of the main magazine (if specified) by writer or contributor.

This is more like a community "magazine" to me , and its ultimately what I thought could be done, however no matter what I try , this is not happening for me.

Also, when a user uses the dropdown menus if there are too many categories (sometimes as few as 2) the user is not allowed to click anything that is in the same space as the front page banner. is there a fix for this?

James Farmer

Hi ptsupport,

Great to hear you are using the magazine theme for a magazine

I'm a bit confused by this though:

When I allow the blog and set up the theme get it all together for them.. when its published..

Are you essentially looking for this:

- Each user has their own blog
    - The articles from each blog are published on the main BuddyPress site (as well as their individual blogs)

This is more like a community "magazine" to me , and its ultimately what I thought could be done, however no matter what I try , this is not happening for me.

I agree this would be very nice, but it would - of course - require some kind of mechanism whereby the posts on individual blogs are re-posted on the home blog.

You could use the recent posts widget or feed for this, but if you are looking for some way of doing this with selection and style, manual editorial is probably the best approach.

Also, when a user uses the dropdown menus if there are too many categories (sometimes as few as 2) the user is not allowed to click anything that is in the same space as the front page banner. is there a fix for this?

Please can you provide a link and also clarify what you are saying - 'there are too many categories (sometimes as few as 2)' doesn't make sense.

ahab

Hi James,
    what i would really like is for each persons sub blog to reflect all of the members, groups and the whole of the community. right now its empty, upon publish

Heres a good example: at myspace you log in and you are inside of myspace.. theres a profile and the users have blogs.. they are not seperate sites.
    The way this is set up by default is a huge traffic leak for anyone taht wants to have a magazine with a community. yes, you're on a subdomain , but there is in no way any connection to the original blog.

I dont want to have a site, and then give people a bunch of clones of my site..

My work in the the adult industry so im not sure if its appropriate to post the link.

as far as the lists in the menus the drop down fields in both the admin and the navigation of the site break when the drop down over the flash gallery in the template..
    sorry that was a confusing way to put it before.. its kind of hard to explain..
    it wont let you select anything if its dropped down above that flash module.

James Farmer

I think that the best approach you could use at the moment is to set up a blog like you would want it to appear - including the 'Latest global posts' widget:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-posts-widget

Or even, if you want to customize a theme code a little, you could use this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-posts

And then use new blog defaults so that each new blog is prepopulated (to a degree) with other content:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

You can use the first tow to populate the homepage somewhat - but at the end of the day you're going to want to editorialize the content there... until we develop something that manages the frontpage in a similar way to how http://wordpress.com do.

And that is on the cards in the next few months!

ahab

This doesn't make any sense.
    and , it kind of pisses me off.

When using a "Child Theme" that calls the settings and the values of the original template with all the same functions why is it not possible to import the entire community into that child blog thus populating the community etc. This seems like something that should have been thought of a long time ago. Why arent the user blogs attached in some way to the users profile other than a link that takes you to a different site, why isnt there some kind of option to have that blog be in their profile?

The next problem is, when using the child theme it is also not possible to edit the "community" OUT of the child theme thus taking that aspect out of that blog altogether..becuase you would then have to edit the "community" out of the original blog to do so..

ahab

When using a "Child Theme" that calls the settings and the values of the original template with all the same functions why is it not possible to import the entire community into that child blog thus populating the community etc. This seems like something that should have been thought of a long time ago. Why arent the user blogs attached in some way to the users profile other than a link that takes you to a different site, why isnt there some kind of option to have that blog be in their profile?

The next problem is, when using the child theme it is also not possible to edit the "community" OUT of the child theme thus taking that aspect out of that blog altogether..becuase you would then have to edit the "community" out of the original blog to do so..