Is there a way to have Membership offer invoicing

Is there a way to have Membership offer invoicing as a billing option for subscribers?

We have an existing syndication subscription membership system that was custom built over 10 years ago. Our customers principle preferred billing method is to be invoiced. Our current system allows us to set their rates and generates the data necessary to print out monthly invoices and run the billing.

It would be nice if this plugged into your Invoicing plugin as well so that payments on the invoices could be tracked. Is there a way to integrate the two?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @theotillotson,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Do you know how the billing system was built? As it's custom this would be a lot more difficult than if it was built on WordPress and would require a developer to make that integration, which may or may not be possible based on how the original system was coded, please advise :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• theotillotson

I'm not worried about integrating the existing data into the backend of Membership. I know how it was built (Classic ASP) and I can run an export data map into Wordpress and migrate data if necessary, that's not the issue.

Our current system just outputs a monthly dataset that gets merged into a document that is sent to a printer. It's not that complicated.

What we principally want is the ability to offer a payment option for Memberships that is Invoicing based. Without a Invoicing as a payment option, doing the above would be impossible.

Online recurring billing is great but some membership based services, especially in the B2B space, still use invoicing.

Principally, our entire customer base are print newspapers (about 800 of them) and we sell content to them for use in print and online. Only a fraction of them pay via credit card. So we need a solution that can bill them via invoicing. Even if all it does is export a monthly dataset, we can handle the rest in another process.

It would be really nice if that was automatically integrated into something like WP-Invoice so everything stayed in Wordpress.

• theotillotson

Is there any documentation to extending the Membership plugin so that we can add this functionality on our own? We would like to not have to abandon the plugin for a reason like this but it is critical to our operations. I'm willing to write an extension plugin for it myself. I just need references for the following event points:

1) Create Payment Option
    2) Edit Payment Option
    3) Process Billing

Once I know where these three things happen inside Membership, I can probably write an extension plugin to integrate Membership with another existing invoice tracking plugin (such as WP-Invoice).

It would be nice if Membership had an API doc that theme developers and plugin developers could use to extend it. I realize you guys want to make the most of your plugin but I think you realize it's frequently not going to meet the variety of needs developers have in implementation.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @theotillotson,

Hope you're well today,

I've taken a look and I believe you'd be best making a additional manual invoicing gateway based on the current free subscriptions gateway in membership > membership includes > gateways > gateway.freesubscriptions.php

That contains the code for creating a subscription, assigning a subscription and for displaying the subscription options front-end.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @theotillotson,

Hope you're well today.

I'd recommend working from the free code rather than the paid, as the paid ones are based around gateways and successful IPN responses to assign that subscription based on the response code, create the member.

Whereas the free one gives you greater flexibility to add in some code for pending subscriptions and then a button to process that and assign, so you'll be basically taking the code for assigning the subscription and delaying that till you've manually processed it, if that makes sense?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.