Is there a way to list the available communites in the Communities plugin?

Is there a way to list the available communities in the Communities plugin? Would LOVE for this to be a feature. Is there a hook I can use to accomplish this?
What do YOU use at WPMU for YOUR Communites section? (the one that is on the menu within the plugin that we install in our WP sites)
Thanks.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi there, Derek!

You should see a full list of your Communities in the Communities tab under Communities. Are you not?

The Community tab you see in the WPMU DEV dashboard is actually referring to our forums, in spite of the name, it's not actually the Communities plugin at play there.

Thanks for your question!

• Deryk
    • The Incredible Code Injector

No, not if I am not joined. I have go to add a community and join the community before I can see it in communities. That was my thought. how would I know what to search for? lol. So - problem. Suggestions?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Derek!

Aha, yes, right now we just give you a search tool for non-admin members who can't see the full list. You could try adjusting the necessary permissions to view that tab to allow all subscribers to have access to view (not edit or modify) the Community list. That can be done with an admin area editor. Our Ultimate Branding plugin comes with such a module, or you can grab a plugin like this one: http://w-shadow.com/blog/2008/12/20/admin-menu-editor-for-wordpress/

User role editor would also work here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

I can also add a feature request.

Thanks for your question.

• Deryk
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ok. well the communities plugin is kind of useless if only super admin can see a list of available communities.
    So, how would I utilize your forums plugin and show it in the backend (admin area) the way you have done?
    Thanks.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi there, Derek!

Our forums run on a heavily modified version of WordPress, and it's all front end. You're can access the forum via our dashboard in your admin forum, but it's actually a front end tool. You can access the forum directly from a browser, as well, without logging in. A team of in-house developers built our forums on top of bbPress, and continue to modify and enhance it.

Have you looked at BuddyPress? The Groups component is front end and I know you were leaning towards a back end solution, but we've got various ways we can lock down access to logged-in users only. BuddyPress forums have been replaced by bbPress, and you can create group-specific forums. So, if you had members who had a group about classic cars, they could have an attached forum as well. I took a screenshot of the groups page on one of my active sites, it's below.

The only downside of groups is that they attract a lot of spam registrations. There are some spam-prevention tools that can cut it down a bit, but a way I found to make groups spam-proof is to integrate a points system, like MyCred, and require (x)points before a new group can be created. This stops users from signing up to your site and then creating 100 groups in an hour that are just lists of spammy links. https://wordpress.org/plugins/mycred/

Would this work for you?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi there,

Just wanted to update here from the live chat session.

To allow all users to see list of all communities , you have to just edit the following Communities plugin file on line number 1207

Communities plugin file:
    /wp-content/plugins/communities/communities-framework.php

Before Editing:

if ( is_super_admin() ) {
    	$query = $wpdb->prepare("SELECT * FROM " . $wpdb->base_prefix . "communities ORDER BY ". $_GET['orderby'] ." ". $_GET['order'] ." LIMIT %d,%d", $start,  $num);

After Editing:

if ( is_super_admin() || true ) {
    	$query = $wpdb->prepare("SELECT * FROM " . $wpdb->base_prefix . "communities ORDER BY ". $_GET['orderby'] ." ". $_GET['order'] ." LIMIT %d,%d", $start,  $num);

Please note you are making changes in the plugin file therefore you have to make these changes again after plugin updation as changes made in the plugin file get lost on plugin updation.

Best Rgeards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @chathura,

Thank you for your reply.

To allow all users to join and leave communities, try editing the following Communities plugin file on line number 1290 along with the previously suggested change.

Communities plugin file:
    /wp-content/plugins/communities/communities-framework.php

Before Editing:

echo "<td valign='top'><a href='?page=communities&action=notifications&cid=" . $community['community_ID'] . "' rel='permalink' class='edit'>" . __('Notifications', $communities_text_domain) . "</a></td>";
    if ( $community_details->community_owner_user_ID == $user_ID ) {
    	//echo "<td valign='top'>" . __('Owner', $communities_text_domain) . "</td>";
    	echo "<td valign='top'> </td>";
    } else {
    	if ( is_super_admin() ) {
    		echo "<td valign='top'> </td>";
    	} else {
    		echo "<td valign='top'><a href='?page=communities&action=leave_community&cid=" . $community['community_ID'] . "' rel='permalink' class='delete'>" . __('Leave', $communities_text_domain) . "</a></td>";
    	}
    }
    echo "</tr>";

After Editing:

echo "<td valign='top'><a href='?page=communities&action=notifications&cid=" . $community['community_ID'] . "' rel='permalink' class='edit'>" . __('Notifications', $communities_text_domain) . "</a></td>";
    $owner_details = $wpdb->get_row($wpdb->prepare("SELECT * FROM " . $wpdb->base_prefix . "users WHERE ID = %d", $community_details->community_owner_user_ID));
    	if ( $community_details->community_owner_user_ID != $user_ID ) {
    		$member_count = $wpdb->get_var($wpdb->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM " . $wpdb->base_prefix . "communities_members WHERE community_ID = %d AND member_user_ID = %d", $community['community_ID'] , $user_ID));
    		if ( $member_count > 0 ) {
    			echo "<td valign='top'><a href='?page=communities&action=leave_community&return=find_communities&cid=" . $community['community_ID']  . "' rel='permalink' class='delete'>" . __('Leave', $communities_text_domain) . "</a></td>";
    		} else {
    			echo "<td valign='top'><a href='?page=find-communities&action=join_community&cid=" . $community['community_ID']  . "' rel='permalink' class='edit'>" . __('Join', $communities_text_domain) . "</a></td>";
    		}
    	} else {
    		echo "<td valign='top'>" . __('Join', $communities_text_domain) . "</td>";
    	}
    echo "</tr>";

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• chathura
    • HummingBird

Sorry my earlier response is placed above my compliment. Since it may give the impression the problem has been resolved, I'm re wring it in here.

"
    @Vinod Dalvi I have to report a small issue regarding your customization. As you can see in the screen shots. I see two repeated 'send message to owner' links. I think its triggered by messaging plugin. If you don't mind can you please look into this in your free time?

Thanks! "

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.