Is there a way to remove recurring events?

I'm noticing two things with recurring events.

1) If you don't enter a regular event, which is the default form field displayed (start date and time with end date and time) and only fill the recurring event field and publish. when you try to redit a published event you can't republish your edits, since the regular event fields are empty. The publish button stays greyed out.

2) Also when you fill in the recurring event start date, repeat every, until, and duration fields, when you redit it always displays the regular event fields and displays them in red, preventing the previously mentioned republish since they are resolved as required.

It should probably open to the field that was filled out and not default to showing the empty regular event fields when it's a recurring event, and allow for republish by removing the unused fields from the DOM (or some solution like that)

Is there a way to remove the option for recurring events so I can just use regular events or vice versa?

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for your post.

If you don't enter a regular event, which is the default form field displayed (start date and time with end date and time) and only fill the recurring event field and publish. when you try to redit a published event you can't republish your edits, since the regular event fields are empty. The publish button stays greyed out.

I just tried and could not replicate it. Can you kindly provide me the steps to recreate this ?

Please advise.

It should probably open to the field that was filled out and not default to showing the empty regular event fields when it's a recurring event, and allow for republish by removing the unused fields from the DOM (or some solution like that)

I am also not able to replicate it. Perhaps its specific to your site. Can you kindly disable all the plugins and then check if you still see the same issue ?

Cheers, PC

• mtpultz

Hi PC,

I figured out what was happening. On creating a new event I was clicking recurring event and skipping over selecting the "Repeat every" field value from the drop down, but filling everything else out.

This changes my initial support topic, which I'll outline below:

The only two plugins installed on this test install is Events+ and the WMPUDev Dashboard plugins.

Steps To Get To Issue
    1) Create New Event
    2) Fill in Title, Body, Event Location
    3) Click Recurring Event,
    4) Fill in Start and End Dates of February 28, 2014 and a Duration of 1 hour, and don't choose any value for "Repeat every" from the drop down
    5) Choose status "Open"
    6) Select Paid Event "Yes" for 75.00
    7) Max Capacity 10
    8) Publish

After clicking "Publish" the event is initially saved with all the values added above saved correctly.

Step-By-Step Observations After Publishing
    1) The newly published Event has the regular event fields highlighted in red indicating required fields have not been filled

2) Clicking "This is a recurring event" shows February 28, 2014 for the start and end date and 1 hour for the duration. All other fields are also all correct with no indication of missing "Repeat every" field.

3) Selecting the missing field and choosing a "Repeat every" value of "Day" and time of "11:00" doesn't allow for updating the Event

4) Clicking "This is a regular event" and entering a regular event with a start and end date of March 1, 2014, and a start and end time of 10:00 and 11:00 will allow the Event to be updated. I only entered a different date as a stub in case this didn't work.

I only outline this since it wasn't intuitive to enter a Regular Event to overcome the Event form update requirements, which I mucked up by missing a the "Repeat every" field initially.

Hope this is useful, let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

• be

Just as a note on recurring events.. which caused us much time..
    If you have eg event X happens every Saturday for one year..
    Of those Saturdays one or two have different information or are special... and you update those 2 special dates with that different info..

If you are to go back and update the recurring events at any point... it will overwrite the "altered special dates"

We found it much more prudent to - make separate recurring events that stopped the event before and a new one that started and stopped the next event date to save having to recheck, forget etc

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.