Is there a way to restrict coupon use to 1 per email?

I'm hoping someone knows how to do this. I'm actually stunned that a customer is doing this but my clients has offer a Free download which I put into the coupon section as the price of the item on special. The problem is because I had to put in a cost amount (unless there's a way to do it otherwise) I now have someone who is using that code to apply it to numerous download products and are getting a lot for free.

Any suggestions to restrict this would be really appreciated. I can't deleted the coupon BTW because it's out there in the marketing and we have until tomorrow to fulfill. Then it expires.

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

I may be misunderstanding the question here; however, I'll take a shot at it!

Is he offering a free download with purchase of a certain product and your putting a discount on the product that equals the cost of the free download? If this is the case, then you can create the coupon but attach it exclusively to that one product. You would do this in the "applies to" field in the coupon options.

Or is it a certain downloadable product that is free for a limited time? If this is the case, then you can go to the products page and put a sale price of $0 on it.

Hopefully that will help!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @brandee

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Do you want the coupon to work for only on product? If yes, select a product from Applies To section while you create a coupon.

If I misunderstand, please advice.

Cheers
    Ash

• brandee
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes that's exactly what I need to do. I only wanted it to be applied to the one item. I had to back down my version due to the problems with the update and we went live with this sale. I'm using version 2.8.9. I don't see an applied box in the coupon area. Is it on a later version? I'm kinda afraid to update now because of the problems last week.

If so, maybe Typepo answer to set the download to $0 would probably work then.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hi again Brandee,

Yes, attaching coupons to specific products is a feature that was introduced in 2.9(so close!).

You can always take a snapshot using the snapshot plugin before you update in-case anything goes wrong; then you can revert back easily.

Either way, you always have that sale price of $0 to fall back on.

Cheers

PS. Thanks for the points :slight_smile:

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @brandee

Did you make any changes in the plugin core files? if not, then you can try updating the plugin. If you see any issues, we would like you to report, also you can go back to previous version again.

But, if you made any changes in plugin core files, then I think you can try @TyePo's suggestion.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
    Ash

• brandee

Hi Ash and Tyepo,
    No I didn't make any changes to the files. I learned a valuable lesson not to do an automatic update so I'll try it again. Seems its fixed now. I have another coupon sale coming up tomorrow. Ugh! I hope it works. The other solution though might not work since the code is out there.

I'll let you know tomorrow morning how it goes.

Thanks for your assistance!

• brandee

Hi Ash,
    I wanted to get back to you that I need update and it's working great.

However, the code being applied to a specific item is not working. It's a problem for us since someone just used the code to download 5 products! Is there someone who could look into why this isn't working?

Thanks,
    Brandee

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

I have just tested the coupon for a specific item and it's working fine for me. Can I have a store link of you site so that I can check from here?

Is there a way to blacklist someone from ordering? This lady is going strong now!

I don't think you can easily do this as an user can buy product without having an account. Would you think you are interested in blocking IP from your cPanel or hosting panel so that she can't access your site?

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.