Is there a way to restrict registration to a specific email domain using the Membership plugin?

Is there a way to restrict registration to a specific email domain using the Membership plugin? I have tried adding a whitelist/blacklist plugin, but Membership still allowed registration. I would ideally want an ajax-type response to catch any excluded email domains as soon as a new member typed in their email address.

This is for a single install of BuddyPress - not multisite. Thanks!

• Chineseand
    • Flash Drive

I have just tried both of those, and I tried User Domain Whitelist/Backlist, and looked at banhammer (though that is a reactive-type plugin). None seemed to do anything. I was still able to move through the registration process. I'm thinking there would need to be some sort of hook or validation on the email section of the Membership registration form to stop it. Since I only need to allow one email domain, and woudln't need to change it, would it be relatively simple to do something like that?

Should I ask for that to be created as a module so it wouldn't get overwritten each time there was an upgrade to Membership?

• Chineseand
    • Flash Drive

Not resolved.

Another note of interest is that the registration page doesn't validate user names, so you could type in a user name and password, register, and if you didn't check your email, you would try to log in and it wouldn't work. Do you know if wpmudev has any plans to upgrade these points?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Another note of interest is that the registration page doesn't validate user names, so you could type in a user name and password, register, and if you didn't check your email, you would try to log in and it wouldn't work. Do you know if wpmudev has any plans to upgrade these points?

Are you referring to aspects of WordPress Multisite?

If so then the default behaviour and functions is not controlled by us. They are handled by Automattic.

Back to the original question, I'm afraid if they don't work then there is much choice left except to maybe hire a developer and get something custom made for you. You can find developers here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs

You could also make the suggestion on our new feedback site, popular requests maybe considered for development.

http://wpmudev.uservoice.com

Take care.

• Chineseand
    • Flash Drive

I don't think I'm referring to aspects of multisite. I created users on my site the other day, and the username I chose (typed in) wasn't what ended up being associated with my account, and there was no message to warn me about this before registration. It was only when I checked my email that I saw the user name. In one case, for example, I tried to create an accoutn with a username that existed, and it let me, but gave me back username2 because 'username' existed already.. That sort of thing should be caught shouldn't it?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.