Is there a way to stop users creating their own taximonies? (locations)

Hi

For directory, I have 'Facetious Search' plugin running to allow users to search for dog services by type and location. However, the only locations which have been created so far are ones which have appeared when other people have listed their businesses and then listed hundreds of locations they are able to serve. This is making the locations drop down menu messy, I'd much rather there were simply options such as 'Nottingham', 'Derby', 'Leicester' etc for the people submitting their directory listing to choose from (in a drop down menu when listing). This way, all these sub-counties wouldn't be there. Is there a way for me to do this please?

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sally,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question,

Are they adding them as tags? If this is the case, we could use categories which are pre-defined and select able and then not allow them to add tags, if that would work for you?

Please advise, I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

Yes I think they are adding them as tags, but now you've said that, I think I may have set my entire listings plugin up wrong! At the moment, I have categories set up to be like;

Dog Breeders & Rescues

— Dog Breeders

— Dog Rescues

Dog Food Suppliers

— B.A.R.F & raw feeding suppliers

— Kibble & wet dog food suppliers

and so on, have I done this wrong? I never entered any locations anywhere when setting up, as I didn't understand the way to set it up properly, or the facetious search plugin to be honest, I don't really 'get' how it all fits together.

Should I start all over again, and what exactly should go in to categories/tags etc to make people unable to add their own areas and allow the facetious search plugin to work?

Thanks again (feel free to look into my admin panel to see how I have stuff set up)

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sally,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

Don't worry you haven't set anything up incorrectly :slight_smile:

We can disable the tags that's not a problem, then what you need to do is, in the CustomPress > custom taxonomies > add new and call it locations, this should be a category based taxonomy, as in checkboxes or a dropdown to allow the selection of a location.

Any issues or if you'd like me to setup a test one to show you, let me know, happy to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Jack, just getting round to doing this...

Think I'm finally getting some idea of what I'm doing with a little trial and error.

A few things I can't find how to do on the submit a listing screen are;

How do I adjust the width of the listing categories box?

How do I change the name 'content' to something more like 'Describe your business in detail' next to the content box?

On a similar note, how do I change the 'title' text?

Lastly, How do I get rid of the 'status' drop down menu? I want all listings to be held for approval, so I don't really need this to show.

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sally,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay here.

For the listings category box width this will work

.dr_taxonomydiv{
    	float: left;
    	display: block;
    	width: 100%

For changing the text, it'll be best to use something like our ultimate branding plugin here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/ rather than making direct changes in the plugin :slight_smile:

The status box I'm afraid is needed if multiple status can be set, at the moment you allow both pending and draft, personally I'd recommend removing drafts and keep pending :slight_smile:

For adding that css you can use something like this http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

I tried adding that css via my custom css widget, but it had no effect. I guess I can live with this anyway, I'd rather get the main parts of the site working at the moment, like the membership issues i'm still having :slight_frown:

I looked at the ultimate branding plugin for changing the text, but this seems to be more to do with changing the back end for people who are making sites for customers? Have I missed something obvious? Can I not just amend the text in some file somewhere on my child theme? I.e. copy the file which has these settings in, put it in my child folder and change the text there? Then future plugin updates won't affect it.. Or do plugins not work this way?

I'll go and look at getting rid of the draft option now, but I'd still like to get this question moved down to be the very last question. Is this possible?

Lastly, how do I disable tags? Had a look and can't seem to see it anywhere?

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Sally,

Thanks for the additional information.

I've just taken a look but can't see any custom css installed (the plugin) or did you add it in your style.css?

On the text change, ultimate branding has a text change feature in it, which will let you change text anywhere across the sites.

As plugins can't be edited with the labels and keep that on update, as they don't function like themes where we could move them to a child folder :slight_smile:

I'll go and look at getting rid of the draft option now, but I'd still like to get this question moved down to be the very last question. Is this possible?

We could remove it completely if you'd rather?

Looks like you've already disabled tags on directory?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry Jack, my fault. I took it back out of the css file because of it not working, otherwise I'd just forget what it was there for lol. Have put it back now so you can see. My custom css plugin appears under the appearance menu :slight_smile:

I'll take another look at the ultimate branding plugin on Monday then if that's the case, thanks for explaining :slight_smile:

If I can get rid of the status box I think that would look tidier. It would be handy to still be able to review listings if that would be possible.

I must have disabled tags at some point, sorry I must have forgotten lol, been fiddling with settings so much this week I ought to know my way around now, if only eh! :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.