Is there a way to use a Dripped Subscription based on member activity?

Hi all,

I'm trying to tweak the Membership plugin to get it working (if possible) the way I want, wherein a member signs up for free (the only subscription I plan on having) with either an invite code or a regular registration form.

Everyone will start out as a "Reader" with access to (as the name implies) read everything on the site, unless I manually move them to "Author," the next level up. I want the "Author" level to be able to post to the site, but I also want people who are "Readers" to be able to comment, and work their way up to "Author" by submitting comments to other work on the site.

Is this possible? I'm currently using the Dripped Subscription model, but it only seems to have option for the length of time someone is a member, not what they DO as a member.

Likewise, is it even possible to grant a member level the ability to post? I can't seem to find it in the Access Levels.

• aecnu

Greetings Azurite,

Thank you for the great question and yes anything is possible when one is a competent coder with a vision and the will to get the job done - and I am not a coder.

Likewise, is it even possible to grant a member level the ability to post?

Same answer as above regarding "possible" and custom coding is beyond the scope of the support we provide here.

Let us know how you make out with your custom coding and have a GREAT New Year.

Cheers, Joe

• Azurite

Hi there,

Just as a quick follow-up:
    * Where would I find someone to do the sort of coding necessary for what I am looking for? The WordPress.org support forums, somewhere else here on WPMUDev.org, or elsewhere?

* Would the custom coding involve
    a) editing the existing Membership Plugin (if that's even allowed)
    b) extending the plugin via another one
    or
    c) replacing the Membership plugin with something else that does what I need?

I'm just curious since I wouldn't know how to phrase it, should I find someone that can help with this.

I am a bit surprised that Membership doesn't allow for members to post though, since content is what WordPress is all about!

Thanks for the clarification, though.

• aecnu

Greetings Azurite,

Thank you for the additional input and questions.

Where would I find someone to do the sort of coding necessary for what I am looking for?

You could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

a) editing the existing Membership Plugin (if that's even allowed)

Absolutely OK, it is GPL so one can modify it as they see fit as long as they leave the credits in side the php.

b) extending the plugin via another one

If this is possible it would be the best choice since it would carry over when Membership is updated.

c) replacing the Membership plugin with something else that does what I need?

This can be tricky though if I had any ideas I would certainly advise you which I am indeed permitted to do.

I hope this helps and thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.