Is there an alternative to BBPress for Group and main site forums?

Is there an alternative to BBPress for Group and main site forums?

If not would you guys consider building one that integrates with BuddyPress so forums can be in Groups with each Group Admin being the Admin for its forum, forum posts showing up in ones activity feed on maybe on user profiles would also be good.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Joe

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Joe,

We're unlikely to go down the forum route more so than at present to be honest when bbPress is so good.

Note that there is a new version of bbPress on the way that is a plugin rather than a standalone product so you might want to check that out. It's not finished yet, but worth testing.

Phil

• jsegal
    • WordPress Warrior

@Phil, thanks. What makes you believe BBPress is good? It is in my experience very user unfriendly and counter intuitive. It has none of the robust features and plugins of more professional forums such as Vbulletin, or open source phpBB , or SMF for instance.

I see a great deal of posts on the Buddpress.org forum about people unsatisfied with BBpress.

Joe

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Sure, I understand that. It's only on version 1 still remember :wink:

Moving to a plugin in v2 basically means that it will have hooks, just like WordPress, which means you'll find lots of plugins being released which extend the functionality of bbPress and it'll quickly get better.

It's basically not had the development time dedicated to that it's needed up until now, is all.

• jsegal
    • WordPress Warrior

Thanks Phil, right now its almost a moot point because the Wiki Plugin I got here has caused BBPress on my site to not work at all. So if I want to use the Wiki Plugin I must find another forum solution for inside of Groups. Unfortunately there currently is No Forum Plugin for Forums inside Groups!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.