Is there an upgrade path from 256 to 4096 with Multi-DB

I will definitely need the 4096 setup on Multi-DB -- but I doubt if I can do it right now -- because I am on a reseller server--

When I get to that size -- I obviously need to move to the cloud for performance or a dedicated server ----

So -- can I start at 256 and then migrate to 4096 --- and is that difficult --

or would I be better to stay with one DB until I can move it to the dedicated server or the cloud --- then go from 1 db to 4096

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I assume it would be the same process as you followed before (Check usage page of the plugin) and you should follow that again.

So -- can I start at 256 and then migrate to 4096 --- and is that difficult --

or would I be better to stay with one DB until I can move it to the dedicated server or the cloud --- then go from 1 db to 4096

It's the same process you need to follow if you want to go from 256 to 4096. However as per our usage guide : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db#usage

Step 1: Decide how many databases you want (16, 256, 4096)

So, how do you know that this plugin is necessary for your install? Well, there are several factors to consider beyond the scope of this walkthrough, but as a basic guideline:

1-5,000 blogs/sites you should be fine with your WordPress default database

5,000 – 50,000 blogs/sites – go with 16 databases

50,000 – 100,000 blogs/sites – use 256 databases

100,000+ blogs/sites – use 4096 databases

*Important note, there’s no performance hit for using 256 databases over 16. If you’re expecting massive growth planning ahead at this point will save you additional work down the road. In fact unless you already know you won’t be growing past 50,000 blogs/sites it’s best just to do the 256 just in case. Using 4096 DBs is usually overkill unless you plan on being the next wp.com or edublogs.org! As stated earlier there are several factors to consider, this is meant to be a general guide. It’s really a decision specific to your site needs.

So if you want to change the servers at a later stage, its good to stay on 1 db to save additional work.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• mindset

I know I will need the 4096 eventually --- but 256 would hold me over for a year or maybe even two ---

I can probably create 256 where I am now ----

I know that at the start of instructions -- it said it was the same process going from 25 to 4096 --

but it also said later that if you are going to do it -- you can only do it once -- or something like that ---

so if I can go from 256 to 4096 -- I think it would be better to setup 256 now --- then migrate to 4096 --

If I understood you -- that is possible correct--

and yes it would be more work when I move it --- but it would also allow me to postpone the expense of the move, and the increase in monthly fees -- with cloud management --

Does that sound reasonable?

• PC

Hiya,

but it also said later that if you are going to do it -- you can only do it once -- or something like that ---

I don't remember reading that. Where did you read that ?

and yes it would be more work when I move it --- but it would also allow me to postpone the expense of the move, and the increase in monthly fees -- with cloud management --

Does that sound reasonable?

I agree with that. You can go with 256 as of now, and once you expand, you can scale as required.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.