Is there any alternative to BuddyPress?

I've tried all day to install BuddyPress. Had some good help, but I cannot get it figured out.

I see an awful lot of messages about problems with BuddyPress, here and on the wide wide interweb, and the issues seem to be the same ones which span the ages. If BP is going to be this hard to just get installed, I'm wondering if there is any alternative that will allow the creation of communities.

Anyone have a suggestion?

(I know what you're really thinking, but my wife tells me that every day when she comes home from work.)

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I am experiencing a white screen when I log in. I log in at wp-login.php The screen goes white and the status bar says "done" while the uri continues to indicate the wp-login.php page.

I can navigate to the home page and view it, but I cannot access the admin

This is a new install, with wpmudev supplied themes (plus the default themes that came with wpmu 2.9.2) I am trying to install buddypress 1.2.3

This is a clean install and there are no other plugins uploaded or installed, only buddypress. I have not changed any wpmu settings or activated any widgets. The theme I started with was the blogs.mu theme.

I have increased memory_limit in php.ini.to 96 mb. The buddypress plugin folder is in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins and contains bp-loader.php

My themes are in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes

The buddypress plugin came with bp-global-adminbar-css.php and was placed in /var/www/html/wp-content/mu-plugins as the instructions read.

I also tested with a copy of buddypress provided by Barry. We added fine('WP_DEBUG', true); to the wp-config.php file and received five warnings that began with Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/bp-core-catchuri.php:72)

I activated php error logging and there were no errors recorded.

I searched the web for answers (which is why I increased my memory_limit from 20 mb to 96 mb) but could not find a definitive answer. The answers ranged all over the place but centered around plugins and theme conflicts.

As I stated, I have no other plugins installed and am using blogs.mu, which I downloaded from wpmudev.

Whew. That's a lot, but I thought it would be best to give as much information as possible. The client is getting antsy and they have the potential to send me a lot of business.

Thanks,
    Kirk

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.