Is there any way to us Chat without authentication?

I currently use Zopim to interact with new visitors to my website. It do es not require people to register or login to chat with me. Is there any way for Chat to have this functionality?

Thank you,
John
New Freedom Technologies

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings John,

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Xavi GB
    • Flash Drive

I too have been looking for something like Zopim and was excited to find this chat plug in and one of the reason I decided to commit to membership only to find that log in is necessary. :slight_frown: No bueno.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents that I am very much in line waiting for this no log in feature to be added sooner vs. later. :slight_smile:

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@john_peeler and @Xavi GB,

Trying to understand the solution here. Our chat plugin provide public user - non-WordPress user to connect to chat. The public login form is not really a login as it just asks for a Name and Email. This is to identify the user when they post message. I was not the original developer of our chat plugin but my understanding is the bottom corner chat was to be used to engage visitors. And I agree you, the admin, do not know who the anonymous visitor is until they login to chat.

Now that we have finally launched Chat 2.0 I'm starting on a support chat development. So I would like to keep this thread open to discuss concepts on that topic.

• Xavi GB
    • Flash Drive

Perhaps that is where it gets confusing because it looks as if the members must have an account to log in with. Perhaps different wording would better represent that it is for general questions w/out the need to log in.

I am curious in the bottom corner chat, is that chat only between site visitor and admin or can multiple site visitors chat on the chat thread? I wanted the bottom corner chat to be for site/order support and less community communication. Hope that made sense. Thanks.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Xavi GB,

Perhaps different wording would better represent that it is for general questions w/out the need to log in.

We had considered different working for the 2.0 release but all felt it was already there and didn't want to make the change and confuse existing users.

I am curious in the bottom corner chat, is that chat only between site visitor and admin or can multiple site visitors chat on the chat thread?

It is group chat. So anyone logged in or authenticated can post and see other user's message.

I wanted the bottom corner chat to be for site/order support and less community communication

Agree 100% Some of the other suggestions I've seen from members is a delayed prompt. So a user goes to one of your product screen and after 10 seconds or maybe 30 seconds they will see a slide in box prompting them to ask for assistance. Or maybe just a call to action widget button they can click and it initiates a private one to one chat with a moderator.

Thoughts?

@john_peeler,

I see the message :You must login to participate in chat." Probably a dumb question but how do they login? Certainly not from the WordPress login.

Correct not with a WP login. Though it does say 'login' is doesn't ask for a password. Just a name and email. This again is just for identification. Was thinking over this a few months ago an looking at some of the other chat plugins and platforms. Many will auto-assign a username like guest_XXXX where the XXXX is just a random number. That way the user is already know. But given the current design of the chat plugin you, the moderator don't really see them until the post something.

so again was thinking the next extension of chat will be a support chat system. Some backend dashboard where you the moderator can see all the anonymous users and see what page they are one. Then like I mentioned above you can setup a prompt to initiate of they have a question or need help with something. Or for that matter from this dashboard you can just kick off a one to one chat of your own.

Still I want something somewhat robust. We do have members wanting a queueing system. So you may have 5 people online asking or help. First in first out. So you can see who is there and what their questions is. To me this is somewhat more in line with like some hosting help systems with the 'chat now for support...'. The user wills in a short name, account, email, question where they state what they are after. This is submitted and entered into the queue. So again you the moderator can see who is there and what their question is.

Thoughts?

• Xavi GB
    • Flash Drive

@Paul so how would one make it a one on one chat as the info for the plug in suggests? Perhaps that detail is going right over my head. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I also do feel the back end dashboard for admins to see all the users for a support chat system is ideal here at least to me for the idea of what this plug in suggests it can be used for.

I used to use Chat4Support and really do like it but if these plug in can do at least something similar for me I'd be happy go lucky with this plug in :slight_smile:

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Xavi GB

... so how would one make it a one on one chat as the info for the plug in suggests? Perhaps that detail is going right over my head. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

The current Chat 2.0 does support private chat. But this private chat is only initiated between two WP users or a moderator chatting with a normal user. What I'm wanting in the next phase of chat is a way the anonymous visitor can initiate a private chat with any available admin/moderator to ask a question. This is coming.

I also do feel the back end dashboard for admins to see all the users for a support chat system is ideal here at least to me for the idea of what this plug in suggests it can be used for.

Good glad you like that idea.

I used to use Chat4Support and really do like it but if these plug in can do at least something similar for me I'd be happy go lucky with this plug in :slight_smile:

Thanks. Will add that chat package to my list for review. There are really many dozen support chat packages out there. Almost all that I've found are simple JavaScript plugins that connect with a centralized hosting system. Which is different from the chat option we offer with is a self-hosted solution. The problem with the self-hostng is many members want to use it to connect to their IM of phones. This is very specialized and many web hosts do not allow such external communications. But I want to at least look into some solutions.

• Xavi GB
    • Flash Drive

@Paul thank you for the reply. I was wondering what happened to this message I did not get notification of it in my dashboard. Anyway I look forward to the future upgrades because as is right now it is useless for me for a shopping site aiding in customer support.

Perhaps I will have to subscribe to chat4support a bit longer. They do have features more involved then just chat as they give you statistics of your visitors, their location, as well as keywords and/or referring urls used to find your site so it has many tracking details as well. But with all that the most valuable to me right now is the one on one for new customers visiting to allow them to initiate communication for sales questions when purchasing.

Since I am trying to gain more conversions they would likely not be members already to initiate a one on one which really bums me out because that is what I got from the example video on the plugins page. Perhaps a bit more clarification on the download page to let us know the full features of one on one chat are ONLY between members and not the ability for anonymous private one on one with support.

Boy I hope that made sense I started to confuse myself there for a bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.