Is there detailed documentation or can I get setup advice?

I am trying to build a online tool for my clients and am almost certain CustomPress will do what I want but there are so many options I don't feel comfortable winging it. I can't find any documentation to help me.

So, can someone either point me to the documentation or point me in the right direction for what I want to do?

We need a system for building online reference manuals. Employees have access to a subsite for their company. All kinds are reference manuals are usually used in any business. Our idea is to make them virtual.

A manual is a collection of documents. The documents may be either links to pdfs, online forms, applications or actual written details of a policy, procedure, etc. The manuals need to be accessed using a wide variety of indices (i want to find all procedures about passwords).

- My idea is to set up Manuals as a post type.
- Then, you add posts attached to the Manuals that have the documents information.
- We already use categories to connect to user roles and control what a given user will see on a particular page or post via the URE plug-in so we would extend that out to the manuals, as well.
- Finally, we set up special tags and allow them to assign as many as they need to a document to get the indices they want.
- Now, I just need to "open" a manual to see the documents. I can use tags to select what I see in a list.

Will CustomPress do all that for us?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Donna,

Hope your weekend is going well!

It sounds like CustomPress would definitely work well for this :slight_smile:

So you would create Manuals as a post type and in that post type include fields to upload docs like pdf's, then also have field for text. Would the different parts of the manual be child posts? Or would you have the heading of the manual as like a category, then all the posts within it they can view from the category archive?

Either way, I think this would work. Perhaps just having 1 post per manual if that would work.

We have a usage guide on CustomPress here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/#usage

It walks you through an example of setting up a post type :slight_smile:

Let me know if you still have questions after reading that.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Donna

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had been working with that usage page but when I got to the details of the categories, tags, custom taxonomy stuff I got bogged down and wanted to understand it better.

Since the manuals are constantly evolving I was thinking there would be something like child posts so you would be able to see everything connected to that manual. Just like pulling a binder off the shelf.

Inside it would be documents which would have the information or the links to it. That would be posts that are always connected to a manual in some way. That part I wasn't too sure about using the example. I was equating Plants to manuals and then documents to the specifics.

Then, I got to the part where I needed to make the index settings (I had assumed custom tags). The usage notes just don't get me down that deep in what the terms mean and what options I should be using.

So, let's say I have the post type Manual. It has several fields I need to add about content and such but that part I have pretty clear.

The rest of it is still gray to me. Are Documents now a hierarchical post of Manuals?

What taxonomy options do I use to assign the current categories used for access plus all the cross reference indexes I need for this? I think I tell it to use standard categories. Then, to custom non-hierarchical taxonomy for all the other stuff.

If you could help clear the muddy waters, I would certainly appreciate it!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Donna,

I think you would want to use custom taxonomies in this case, so not select regular categories or tags. Instead, go to: CustomPress > Content Types > Taxonomy tab. Create as many taxonomies as you need and link them to your Manuals post type.

For child posts to work you need to make sure you select "true" for the post type Hierarchical setting and then make sure "Page Attributes" is checked under the "Supports" options in the edit post type page.

Then you will be able to set a "parent page" for new posts, so have one main manual page then child pages under it and depending on your theme it may link to the child posts sort of like a "next" pagination. The default twentyfifteen theme does this as seen in my screenshot.

Hope that helps clear things up! If you still have any further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler