Is there now a simple Trial to Subscription process in Membership?

Is there now a simple solution for a trial subscription period in Membership. I've been a member for a long time and tried to use Membership since day one. I've never been able to use Membership yet on any site I've created for one reason or another and one main reason is not having a simple..."Check this box to enable a trial period." "How much?" Done!

I have a new site that for better or worse, one way or another I'm going to use Membership. It's installed right now and working fine, without a trial. However, I would like to have the option of a trial.

Can you please tell me the best solution? And let me know if this is going to be added in the future. Yes, I know about the finite, serial, etc. and have tried that over and over but I simply cannot get it to make a smooth transition from one type of membership to the next. I tried using a finite trial and then move to a serial monthly but the finite membership simply ends and the serial membership never takes over. Once before I did get it to change in Membership, but nothing was paid via Paypal, that's as far as I made it before.

Any suggestions? I'm not speaking in terms of my current installation at this time. I just want to know in general if anyone has a simple working trial to subscription process that works and is stable. I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!

• Kimberly

Hello bmk0220

The intended use for providing a trial membership is to activate your chosen gateway (not the Free one) then put a finite subscription at $0 cost. Once that ends your user will need to pay to continue membership if you have it set up in a subscription drip structure. If you have a separate Finite subscription then that is all they will experience and not be prompted to upgrade.

Thing is Membership will not pre-authorize payments so you cannot take the member info up front, you can only force them to pay once the trial is done.

I will ask around to see if anyone else has thoughts on the intended behavior in the transition from a Finite Free Membership to a Paid Subscription. There are a couple support staffers who've done a bit more extensive testing on this than I.

Thanks!

Kimberly

• bmk0220

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the reply. I want to offer a paid trial where the member pays, say $29, and receives a trial for 3 months or 6 months (whatever). At the end of the trial, they will move to a subscription where they pay $29 every month. Move to a monthly subscription within PAYPAL, not on my site. I don't have different access levels so I'm not concerned about that part.

I tried $29 finite (trial), moving to $29 serial (monthly), but it only ends the finite and doesn't start the serial and doesn't bill/charge the member either. I would have to contact each member at the end of their trial and get them to pay again. You could image how that would turn out.

Just wondering why one "transaction" can't create a trial and subscription (moving seamlessly from trial to subscription within Paypal) just like the standard Paypal subscription buttons do.

Well, I will probably decide (once again) to not have the trial or not use Membership, but I have a bigger issue with Membership than this one right now. So, I'll create another post for that one.

Anyway, if you find out how to do what I need here, please let me know. Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings bmk0220,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.