Is there really no front-end functionality for Communities?

Just experimenting with Communities here tonight. Is there really no front-end option on this? Making users jump into the wp-admin seems ill advised unless it's for management.

Hoping I'm missing the obvious set of front-end shortcodes here. Hoping to /facepalm myself and not WPMU.

Please advise.

• aristath

Hello again @Imperative Ideas
    Yes, Communities is back-end only.
    Think of it like BuddyPress groups... for the backend!
    There have been lots of discussions about bringing Communities to the frontend (the last discussion we had with the devs about this was last Thursday), but everytime these conversations end-up the same way:
    There is really no reason to do that! If someone wants to use Communities on the frontend, they can simply use BuddyPress instead and only activate groups!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Imperative Ideas

That's like saying there was no reason to create LinkedIn because if someone wanted a social network they could just use Facebook.

All it takes is a set of shortcodes. The real problem with everything being on the back-end is that it means maintaining a WP-Admin stylesheet as well as one for the general theme.

I can work around the restriction but it's a heck of a thing to self-impose; especially since your forums are front-end only. Consistency please?

Also, I dislike BP for the same reason I dislike WPS... the everything to everyone approach ends up creating a lot of 3-star experiences. That and have you seen the bug list? It's awful.

One other pair of notes for your next meeting.

Inbox & Directory can be installed on single-site WP but the dashboard says they require multi-site. Note I am not advocating taking them away from single-site but rather fixing the dashboard.

• aristath

That's like saying there was no reason to create LinkedIn because if someone wanted a social network they could just use Facebook.

If BP in your example is Facebook, then the communities plugin is LinkedIn.
    They might both be social networks, but they have their differences when it comes to their objectives and the way they are structured. You don't see Linked-In or Google+ trying to replicate what Facebook does, that would be pointless. Instead, each social network has its own approach.
    Likewise, BP Groups & Communities do the same job, but they have a different approach to it. BP on the Frontend, Communities on the backend.
    Noone said "don't create another social network"... but there is no point in creating nother Facebook just for the sake of creating it. And why would anyone use a site that does exactly what facebook does, when it's only difference is that it's called faecebook instead?
    Sure, it would be cool to have it, I don't disagree with that. But there are more things to consider here and I hope you get my point. Anyway, that's a loooong discussion and I assure it goes on and on on a weekly basis on our meetings.

All it takes is a set of shortcodes

Actually it 's going to take a whole more than that, a complete rewrite of the plugin would be definitely required.

The real problem with everything being on the back-end is that it means maintaining a WP-Admin stylesheet as well as one for the general theme.

No argument there!

Inbox & Directory can be installed on single-site WP but the dashboard says they require multi-site. Note I am not advocating taking them away from single-site but rather fixing the dashboard.

Noted!

I've moved this topic to the Features and Feedback section. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.