Is there way to backup the entire Network Database with Snapshot?

Is there way to backup the entire WP Network's database with Snapshot?

Currently, you can snap each individual blog's tables, but it would be really great and helpful to be able to backup the entire installations database like you can with BackupBuddy.

Thanks.

Paul

@Rone,

At this time no, Snapshot will not take a backup of the entire Multisite database. The reasons for this are many and varied. But this is on purpose and by design. I'll give you #1 & #2 reasons.

#1 Many of our members run very large Multisite systems. With many thousands of sites. Using a backup tool to create a single backup file would mean the archive is massive. Too massive to manage well.

#2 Considering all the sites are included in this massive single backup. How would you go about performing a restore for any individual site if needed.

Rone

@Patrick Thanks!

@Paul

Valid reasons indeed and very understandable.

I have a network building up of 200+ and was just trying to find an automated to backup the entire database...just in case. Also, I certainly wasn't meaning to imply the this should replace he ability to snap individual blogs and their tables. I was thinking an additional feature. Anyways, I see your points.

Currently I'm backing up the entire WP Network install via Softaculous cPanel on my VPS, but unfortunately my host doesn't allow Softaculous' automated back-up feature. Support mentioned add a script/cron that might be added to Softaculous to accomplish the task, but I thought I check Snapshot first before delving into that.

In the meantime, I suppose I'll re-install Backup Buddy alongside Snapshot and just use its database-only backup feature. It backs up the entire WP Network database and so far has been handling 300-500MB+ backups on my WP Network without incident (it just takes while).

Cheers and thanks for the quick response.

Paul

@Rone,

Yeah, you will find many of the current backup plugins like BackupBuddy and others will only do a full backup. This is another point of decision on why we decided to handle individual sites within Multisite like we did.

Eventually I do want to add some logic to do automatic backups for all Multisite blogs. The thought was you would just enable full backup. But instead of one single backup containing all the network tables we would actually be creating backups like we do now with individual packets. One for each site. So someway yo define a default scheme like: Once a week, All tables, All Files, Send to Dropbox.

Then for special cases you may want to define specific configuration to backup once daily or something different. We still have plenty of options in that realm.

One final note. If you will be using BackupBuddy along with Snapshot. You need to ensure that Snapshot does not try to include the BB archive as part of it's backups. If you go to Snapshots > Settings you will see the Global Exclusions section. Please add the path to the BB archives there so Snapshot does not attempt to include those.

Rone

Eventually I do want to add some logic to do automatic backups for all Multisite blogs. The thought was you would just enable full backup. But instead of one single backup containing all the network tables we would actually be creating backups like we do now with individual packets. One for each site. So someway yo define a default scheme like: Once a week, All tables, All Files, Send to Dropbox.

Good to hear, although I'm a little confused.

What's the difference between that feature and being able to back up the entire Network's database with all tables in a single file...in regards to Issue #1?

It seems like that to would be a pretty hefty process for a WP Network with thousands of sites. I guess that process can be queued and segmented to addresses memory limits whereas a single file back-up cannot?

At any rate, if you do end up adding that feature, it'd at least be great to have a tool that could compile all those tables into single database file (sql.zip) that could be used to restore the entire network.

For me, having a backup of the single database would be ideal in the case of something catastrophic happening to the entire network's database. Being able to restore the database (and thus the entire site) from a single sql.zip file in phpMyAdmin is a lot more ideal than having to restore each sites's tables one-by-one in phpMyAdmin. Especially in a situation where you may not have access to the WP Dashboard anymore due to an unfortunate event and a lot of (or all) sites are effected.

I guess I'm thinking more, sky has fallen...worse-case-scenario...Snapshot as a disaster recovery tool that can get you back up and running quickly should something terrible go wrong with the entire network/database. Perhaps that's not really your intention for this plugin though?

One final note. If you will be using BackupBuddy along with Snapshot. You need to ensure that Snapshot does not try to include the BB archive as part of it's backups. If you go to Snapshots > Settings you will see the Global Exclusions section. Please add the path to the BB archives there so Snapshot does not attempt to include those.

I'll be sure to check that if I end up re-installing BB! Thanks for the heads up.

I'm also just considering manually backing up the entire database myself in Softaculous or phpMyAdmin once a week. I'll be checking for scripts to handle this as well.

Paul

@Rone,

It seems like that to would be a pretty hefty process for a WP Network with thousands of sites. I guess that process can be queued and segmented to addresses memory limits whereas a single file back-up cannot?

Exactly, Instead of doing the task all at once this can be split over a 24 hour period. Maybe even grouped together.

I think we will eventually bow to member pressure to provide the full entire network backup as an option. There are just as many members running small-ish network sites where a single backup would not be an issue.

johnnymestizo

@rone @paulm

I was just about to create a topic for this! Good to see wpmudev has all bases covered on the subject matter.

+1 for 'grouping' or automated network backups.

Why not throw the blog zip into the backup id grouped folder. It seems Snapshot already creates a unique back up folder id anyway.

Staggering this over a week or day would make sense. I have a dedicated server install so I don't mind running network backups.

Why do we need network backups?

Lets say we upgrade to Wordpress 3.8 and hit 'update all network sites'. Then discover an essential wordpress must-use plugin is not yet compatible... Well, I would have to say goodbye to 5 hours of my life.

The restoration through snapshot could be staged with main blog ID SQL table restored first, then wordpress core files, then sub sites.

Would also need Multi-DB support if each blog has its own database.

Well, thats my two cents.

Cheers,

Johnny