Is this a chat or a shoutbox ?

Looks more like a shout box than a chat
1) All messages are visible to all users
2) No private messaging. No way to address a question or an answer to a particular user or visitor

How is this a "chat" ?
May be a chat room or a shout box.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi hereme,

I guess that would depend on how 'shoutbox' and 'chat' are defined. I always saw shoutboxes as chats, myself, as they're essentially the same chats only with lighter features, but chats nonetheless.

The plugin does provide full support for avatars, which is a big step up from many shoutboxes I've seen, sound being another one that I've not seen in any shoutboxes.

Cheers,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi hereme,

That's being looked into for a future version of the plugin. though there's not a way to do that with the current version, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure it would work for you, but BuddyPress provides some sleek messaging capabilities so private messaging could easily be handled through that.

• flashmech
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@DavidM

I concur with hereme, because recently a visitor went to my site expecting to chat, and since there was no notifications to me, he chatted with himself (which is very bad), and turned away after he left a not-so-friendly comment, "its a useless chat machine"

The very first thing that I can see to improve at the moment, is to give the ability to change the text on the bottom corner chat, "Click here to chat!" and "Chat" when fully expanded. We will be then be able to decide on the direction that we want for the chat box's functionality, and users will be more informed.

I am requesting this feature to be made asap. I deactivated the chat plugin from my site for now, because it is misleading and turning away customers. :slight_frown:

• Udris
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As I understand here we can request future improvements.
    so here is my list:

- ability to set admins status (online, offline), so the visitors can know if they will get the answer.
    - ability for admin, to chat from the wp-admin, (dashboard, ore some other place)
    - ability to send files.
    - all chats ar private. so all messages are not visible to all other users (!!!)
    - if some of the site visitors wants to chat (get answers on theirs questions), I get notification that there is someone to talk with.
    - etc.

• flashmech
    • The Incredible Code Injector

That is a good list Udris. :slight_smile:

I still hope to be able to change the header text of the chat box. That will give me more flexibility on the use of the plugin.

Can we have some response from WPMU DEV about the roadmap of this plugin? Will be great to know that our feedbacks are taken into consideration.

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi everyone,

This is an older thread but I just wanted to mention, there's been some pretty amazing features added to the Chat plugin since and private chats are now possible using either BuddyPress or our own Friends plugin.

Plus it's now got back-end chat features as well.

Well worth a revisit if ya haven't already! :slight_smile:

Thanks!
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.