Is this plugin better than the one from Joost?

Hi, I was wondering if this plugin is a replacement of the one by Joost de Valk. I had the latter installed on my soon to be released site and I'm wondering if I should use the one from WPMU or keep the other.

Any non skewed reviews or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

• aristath

Hello there @Hugo, I hope you're well today!

Any non skewed reviews or suggestions?

All reviews and suggestions are biased and subjective depending on our personal experiences.
    I haven't used Joost's plugin in about a year but when I did I wasn't a big fan (and that's just personal preference).
    For a plugin that just adds a tracking code to my site it was simply too complex without reason.
    There are major differences in these 2 plugins.
    Which one you choose depends completely on your use-case scenario.
    The main differences are these 2:
    1. Our plugin is multisite-compatible allowing you to track your whole network, while at the same time gives individual site owners the ability to track their own site by adding their own analytics ID
    2. You have analytics reporting on your dashboard.

Other than that, they are both excellent plugins and they both excell at what they do: add some fancy js code to your pages for Google Analytics.

If you're not interested in reports on your dashboard etc, you can completely skip installing any plugin and just create a new file on your wp-content/mu-plugins folder called analytics.php
    In that file paste the following:

<?php

/**
      * Add your tracking code to the WordPress footer
      */
    function my_custom_analytics() { ?>
    PASTE YOUR ANALYTICS CODE HERE.
    YOU CAN GET THAT CODE FROM http://www.google.com/analytics/
    <?php }
    add_action( 'wp_footer', 'my_custom_analytics' );

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• hgomezc

Thank you @aristath, I'm glad you gave me your opinion as on an older thread (I presume it was before GA+) you were recommending the Joost's plugin to a user! :slight_smile: So in my case, your opinion has extra value.

I'm actually not using multisite or wp network. I'm using a plain old stand alone site, so I guess the MU part is not relevant for me. BUT, I'm interested on having the stats on my dashboard. IMHO Google's newest analytics UI it's getting pretty cumbersome to use.

I also agree on your point of hard-coding the GA code on the theme, but it is more fun to use a GUI.

Thank you! really appreciate your feedback.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.