MarketPress customization

I have used several different Wordpress eCommerce plugins. All have their issues. I decided to use MarketPress for my current project, as the WPMU dev is a well respected community.

I will start off by saying I LOVE that everything uses the Wordpress core. Custom post types, post meta, etc. All very good.

However, I am finding a lot of limitations. First of all. Where is the documentation. I'm not referring to the page which shows you how to install and setup the plugin. I'm talking about the documentation for hooks and filters, theming and customization options etc. I am finding nothing on the website. The template-functions.php file is hardly helpful, aside from the fact that it is missing several functions that other plugins have.

I want to style my cart, and edit the item name in the cart, yet I can't seem to do this. There is no function to pull the order total? What is the point of creating my own templates for use with MarketPress if I can't even custom the cart table.

I would love to give this plugin a shot, and use it for all eCommerce sites, but without key features that give me FULL control over my site, I can't do that. I thought Shopp Plugin was extremely buggy, but it got the job done and allowed me to do whatever I needed look and feel wise.

Somebody tell me I am wrong and that everything I need is just a few clicks away.

• DavidM

Hi friedmancreative and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sorry you're experiencing trouble with customizing MarketPress. Usually, we go through specifics here in the forums and we'll be happy to see how we can assist you with these specifics, though we are working at getting more information up on the instruction page.

That said, the template functions do represent the crux of customization capabilities, though there are various other things to take into account as well, such as filters and actions, as you mentioned.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by editing the item name in the cart, but you could potentially edit the actual mp_cart() function used to render the cart. That function generates the total so you'd have access to that as well as the general appearance of the cart.

Of course, you do still have the ability to alter the appearance with css quite easily.

Would that work for you?

Cheers,
    David

• friedmancreative

I have very customized products with variations. When a product is in the cart, it displays as:

Product Name: Variation.

This does not work for me. Only way to edit this is for me to pull the contents of the cart directly and create my own HTML, CSS, and filter functions. This is all great. Issue is that all of the other cart functions, such as checkout, shipping, totals etc don't function correctly when I populate the cart myself. I could dig through all of the objects to get what I need, but that would be extremely time consuming.

I also don't want to edit any core functions of the plugin in order to maintain update-safe capabilities. I think the plugin is great, I'm just not sure it has the customization capabilities I need currently.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.