Is WPMUDEV Domain Mapping Plugin Still Necessary?

Hello,

Is WPMUDEV Domain Mapping Plugin Still Necessary on a WP 4.72 multisite network?

What features do we lose or what are the implications if we abandon WPMUDEV Domain Mapping?

https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Multisite_Domain_Mapping

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello SooBahkDo,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

WordPress now lets you use different top-level domains for sub-sites of your Multisite but that's a basic functionality only. In a simple cases Domain Mapping may not be necessary but it's still the only reliable solution if you wish to (for example):

- map more than a single domain to the sub-site
    - let sub-sites admin map domains by themselves (without the plugin only super-admin can do this)
    - keep sub-sites (all or selected) available under both original domain and mapped domain(s) at the same time
    - make sure that switching back to original sub-domain is fast and "painless"
    - let sub-sites admin buy domains from your (through your eNom reseller account)
    - make domain mapping a part of a "premium package" only (DM used together with Pro Sites)
    - keep some of the pages of particular sub-site available via original sub-domain while others are available via mapped domain (so "exclude" pages)

I'm not quite sure if I didn't miss anything but I think these are the most important features that you won't get using only core "mapping" feature without Domain Mapping plugin.

If you have additional questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam